Friday, May 20, 2005

Hitchhikers and movie tech

I saw the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie a couple days ago. I don't see many movies. I think Nathalie and I maybe have seen one other since we got here in Hawaii? Oh, National Treasure was it. So this is probable movie 2 or 3 in the last year. Anyway, in the end I am not sure the movie had any great point. I mean I am not sure it really needed to be made. As a movie, it was basically so-so. Not bad, but basically too disjointed in my view to make a great movie. Later I was thinking about seeing it again possibly and guessing I might enjoy it more a second time around, which made me realize this is one of those movies that is likely better to quote than to watch. The Three Amigos is a movie like this. It's only a lot of fun, when you memorize all the parts and sit around quoting it later. Sometimes like Python. But then if this is just a movie that is a quote movie, it had no real purpose in being made. Unlike Python or the Three Amigos, the quotes already existed, namely the book already had them all there. I've been bringing up 42 as the answer to life for years, so I didnt need the movie to continue it. I think it's main purposes will have been 1) to expose the books to people who dont usually read, and 2) to give a (quite good) visual realization to the fans of the books. Which is something.

I also could not help thinking along the same lines as my Sith preview review down below, meaning that movies always have the future looking like the current technology. In this case, basically the Hitchhiker's Guide looked pretty much like the Flash or Shockwave web sites of today, complete with the little expanding bars and all. But what can you do? You have to make the tech of tomorrow with something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

before i can write anything, i must ask one question. did you ever read all five books, the radio versions, or watch the britich tv series?

pacatrue said...

Hmmm.... Well, anonymous, here is the history of Paca and Douglas Adams. I read the first 3 books back when I was a teen, 12 or 13 or so. And I have not read them since. I remember enjoying them, and I remember a few items from the books, such as 42, how to fly, towels, etc. I have not read So Long or Salmon. And I have also never heard the radio versions or the british tv series. I am actually one of the few people, it seems, however, who really enjoyed Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.