Friday, June 03, 2005

Wild and Peaceful

So here is an attempt at my 17 favorite tunes. Why 17? I couldn't cut anymore, and I don't really need to spend that much time worrying about this.

1) Pet the Kat - Dirty Dozen Brass Band
2) Wild and Peaceful - Kool and the Gang
3) Soul Power - James Brown
4) Just Got Paid - ZZ Top
5) Gymnopedie #1 - Erik Satie
6) Asturias - John Williams' performance
7) Like a Knife - Cui Jian
8) Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens - Louis Jordan
9) Night in Tunisia - Art Blakey's version of Dizzy
10) You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To - Julie London
11) Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody - Louis Prima
12) Nine Times Blue - Mike Nesmith
13) Circle Sky - Monkees
14) Superstar in France - Lambchop
15) Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
16) Angeliou - Van Morrison
17) Into the Mystic - Van Morrison

There is a basic soul, jazz, funk thing going there - with some noticable exceptions. Satie's Gymnopedie would be considered "classical" or "western art" music. Asturias is a classical guitar piece. There are more uptempo tunes than I expected. I was worried it would all be quiet stuff. It's also older than I realized. A lot of my newer stuff made list 1, but didn't stay. But then my criteria was that I had listened to it for some time. Anyway, there you go. If anyone would like to hear this stuff, email me. My address is sitting right at the top of the blog on the right.

6 comments:

Killer Llama said...

I have no idea what most of those tunes sound like.

Van Morrison, allllll the way down to 15 and 16? Come, come.

Circle Sky? Hmm...

I'd love you to do this again in 6 months time to see if the list changes... I bet it would.

My list would be much more mainstream. A few that would be included, in no particular order, off the top of my head:

Into the Mystic
Adore
Chelsea Hotel (Cohen)
Solitude (Billy Holiday)
As Time Goes By
Stardust
Where the Streets Have No Name
Mad World (Gary Jules/Tears for Fears)
The Boxer

But don't hold me to that... I don't think I can really make a solid list of "favorite tunes"... there's so much out there that is soooo good. The best I can do is, if something comes on the radio, I can say "I love that song."

pacatrue said...

Officially holding llama to this list.

I like many of your tunes, llama. I actually didn't even consider things I happen not to own. I bet that would re-write mine. I had a couple tunes from Rhythm of the Saints on my short list. And I agree The Boxer is a great tune. I might stick Kathy's Song ahead on mine. I also had a couple Cohen tunes from The Future around for a while. But llama! No famous blue raincoat? hmmmm

Circle Sky... Yeah, maybe I should rethink that one.

I might have to add the ragtime tune The Entertainer to the list. I have liked that song since I was a kid, and some local pianist played it at the Jackson House restuarant. There's a Winnsboro memory for you.

Killer Llama said...

There's about 15 or 20 Cohen songs I could choose, all of that kind of melacholy-but-self-assured vibe. Famous Blue Raincoat is an excellent choice. I also agree with Kathy's Song... I might move it ahead of the Boxer as well. I always love Bookends, too, it's just so short!

I have to add one that I forgot, though, and that is "Let's Stay Together" by the Reverend Al Green.

I always dug the Entertainer, as well. My problem with ragtime, though, is that so much of sounds the same to my ear. I could probably distingues the Entertainer from Maple Leaf Rag, but just about everything else is just synchopated noodling. Good synchopated noodling, of course, but the rhythm and chord progressions are so similar to me.

Killer Llama said...

Oh, and:

"At Last" - Etta James

Killer Llama said...

"Heroes" - Bowie

pacatrue said...

"At last" great tune. Definitely heard the Etta James version. I have Lou Rawls singing it, and isn't bad either.

Al Green. Nice. I'm partial to "I'm so Tired of Being Alone" - hard to know if I like it or "Let's Stay Together" more.

And again I agree on ragtime. One reason I like The Entertainer is somehow I can tell it apart from all the other Joplin rags. I am not sure if I would know Maple Leaf Rag from any other.

Another old fun song I had on my list, well two, for a while was Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B by the Andrew Sisters and Aint Nobody Here But Us Chickens by Louis Jordan.