Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Growing up is weird!

I'm almost to my 32nd birthday now, and I was just struck how strange it is being an adult. I have friends and acquaintances now who are, like, people of responsibility. Doctors, lawyers, professors, people who might give a report to a UN committee, etc. I mean these are people who are starting to run the world, not just live in it, get good grades, and goof off in their spare time. But I know these people personally, not professionally, and it is fun to see how people who seemed so far off, so different, when you were a kid, are the same people you knew before they were 'people of reponsibility.' In fact, I just reviewed the Constitution and at 25 I was old enough to be in the House of Representatives. Almost 2 years ago now, I became old enough to be in the Senate. And in a mere 3 years, I am qualified to run for President. Pretty weird and cool to think how few requirements there really are to hold an office in our Consitution. That whole democracy thing. So here are the entire qualifications to be President:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States. "

I mean, that's not asking much. Though it is interesting how the Founders thought you could be a naturalized citizen, in effect, at the Signing and be President, but it wouldn't be good enough going forward.

pacapaca (said like the Little Caesar's guy)

No comments: