Monday, August 22, 2005

Off to the Races

It's that time again. Semester began today. There are all these students now, cluttering up the campus. Used to be so quiet.

So here are the courses:

Phonology - one of the last reqs
Historical Linguistics - language families, language change, evolutionary language
Intonational Typology - research to document previously undocumented language
Language Acquisition - Prof is Chomsky-ite; we are opponents; charge!

I did learn today that I seem to have turned a corner in my academic career. The classes today were all fine. I will learn a lot. But, well, they are just classes. I feel like it is time for me to be doing research. The last two are seminars and will be research-based, so that's nice. This isn't putting the classes down. They will be good classes. It's just time to be working.

Due to transportation issues, B went with me to my 7:30 class today. He wasn't the best co-teacher. Fortunately, all I had to do was tell them what Linguistics was, and then that they would get a new teacher. Actually, the Chair decided this afternoon to just cancel my section, since I don't have enough for the class to make. However, the registration system is so overloaded right now, I can't get in to get the email addresses to tell them.

I did see my office today, the one I get for being editorial assistant. It's killer for a GA. In fact, many faculty are in similar offices around me. The mere fact that I have an office to myself with a computer supplied is pretty stunning. Granted it is in the portables, but I ain't complaining.

No comments: