Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Bawling like a Baby

I have confessed previously on another web site (Hey Jill at YellowSnapdragons) to curling up into a fetal position and bawling every single time I see the end of It's a Wonderful Life. You all know the scene. Well, now I can add a song to that list. I don't listen to much bluegrass - maybe own 4 albums - but I have Dolly Parton's Little Sparrow. Very good album, and she is the queen of portraying naive young women who are hopelessly taken in by a handsome boy. Sometimes it is to comic effect, such as in "Marry Me" ('he done kissed me on the mouth so he's gonna marry me'); and sometimes it is to tragic effect like in "Down from Dover". Anyone who listens to bluegrass knows they don't pull any punches on tragedy, and on this one we have a girl who falls for a handsome stranger, cannot deny him anything he wants, and waits and waits for him to come back from Dover. She knows he will come back soon. It's just a matter of time. She is pregnant with his child and, as befits the time, gets abandoned by her family for her mistake. She ends up on a farm waiting for the baby and him to return. In the end, the baby arrives, but it is too quiet and not crying. "Maybe dying was her way since she knew she'd never have a daddy to hold her." I'm about to start bawling again. Gotta stop talking about it.

pacapaca

3 comments:

Christopher Robin said...

It's always surprising to feel the kind of emotion that can be brought out through things like song and movies. I know that there are a few movies out there that get me every time. Though I don't even know if I could even watch Hotel Rwanda again, I was bawling halfway through that one, just thinking of it takes me back to those feelings...

kristybox said...

There's this stupid country song called, I'm guessing here, "That Song." At one point, it says, "I think of a real good friend, And the sixteen summers I spent with him. Now 'Only the Good Die Young' stops me in my tracks." I never lost a friend that young, but it still makes me tear up everytime. Of course, I blame it on pregnancy hormones, 'cause I'd rather be tough than sensitive. ;)

J said...

Patty Griffin does a version of Bruce Springstein's "Stolen Car" that honest to God makes me cry out loud.
Also, I love Dolly Parton. "Hard Candy Christmas" is one of my favorite Christmas songs.