Tuesday, November 15, 2005

role models

1) I think this is the 7th entry since Saturday, so scroll down. I am so prolific because it puts off real work and Blogger is functioning on my work computer again. I was going to say "work PC" but it's a Mac, yet "work Mac" sounds wrong.

2) I saw a headline on USA Today that said some magazine like GQ or Esquire had named Jennifer Aniston as their first ever "Woman of the Year." Now, Jennifer Aniston might be a fine person, even though the only thing I know she has done in the last year is get divorced. Handling a divorce can be quite trying personally, but in the entire world is that the best we can do? I have had thought about role models for women (actually these are role models for everyone, but I specificaly have in mind people that girls can admire) in the past. The first time was several years ago when my sister was a young teen, maybe even a tween, and thought Alicia Silverstone was the best thing ever. That was her role model, and I thought then "isn't there someone else?"

Back when I was in high school, so this would be around 1989, I had a brief chance to meet a woman who had won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1976 for being one of the Founders of the Northern Ireland Peace Movement. She was giving a talk at our school (yes, my high school could get Nobel Peace Prize Winners to show up) and since I was one of the primary theater techies, setting up the sound, podium, curtains and such for her, she smiled at me and we exchanged about 2 sentences. I couldn't recall her name today, so I looked up the winners of the Nobel Peace Prize online. Here are the ones that seem female from either the name or the description going back to 1976.

a) 1976 BETTY WILLIAMS and MAIREAD CORRIGAN Founders of the Northern Ireland Peace Movement (later renamed Community of Peace People).

b) 1979 MOTHER TERESA, India, Leader of the Order of the Missionaries of Charity

c) 1982 ALVA MYRDAL, former Cabinet Minister, diplomat, delegate to United Nations General Assembly on Disarmament, writer.

d) 1991 AUNG SAN SUU KYI, Burma. Oppositional leader, human rights advocate.

e) 1992 RIGOBERTA MENCHU TUM, Guatemala. Campaigner for human rights, especially for indigenous peoples.

f) 1997 INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN TO BAN LANDMINES (ICBL) and JODY WILLIAMS for their work for the banning and clearing of anti-personnel mines.

g) 2003 SHIRIN EBADI for her efforts for democracy and human rights

h) 2004 WANGARI MAATHAI for her contribution to sustainable development, democracy and peace.

Do none of these amazing women exist in 2005? I bet they do, so maybe GQ could raise its standards a bit. Many of you will say "c'mon, it's a men's entertainment magazine." I get the point. I just wish there was another magazine that did have one of these people on the front - and I don't mean that obscure one at the bottom right corner behind the knitting section at your local Border's. Maybe these women don't have the great hair that Jen does.

But at the same time, I think winning a Nobel Peace Prize is pretty damn sexy. No, I didn't have a poster of Mother Teresa in a bikini on my wall when I was 12, but I'm serious. Accomplishment like all of the women above have achieved is hot.

2 comments:

fracturedfanatic said...

thank you for that post. made me think about many things. enjoy your blog!

coolbuddha said...

Couldn't agree more. And Aung San Suu Kyi is still under house arrest. And has been for over ten years.