Friday, September 07, 2007

Madeleine L'Engle

Madeleine L'Engle, most famous for writing A Wrinkle in Time, passed away today at 88.

Yahoo AP News link

I absolutely loved A Wrinkle in Time when I was 9 years old or so. It was great in every way a book could be great. Honestly, I haven't re-read it since, though I do stare at the cover when in the children's section contemplating picking it up, so I have no idea how it would hold up today, but it didn't get any better at the time. And, for all the authors who read this blog, she too says A Wrinkle in Time was rejected many times before finding a publisher in 1962.

Thank you, Ms. L'Engle, for not giving up because of the rejections.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did u hear about pavirotti? so sad, he was so talented.

court

bunnygirl said...

Oh wow, I hadn't heard that. I didn't even know she was still alive. A Wrinkle In Time is a good book-- it reads well at more than one level and I like that.

Ello said...

A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books as a youngster. It was such a brilliant book. It never talked down to its audience. I was sad to hear she had passed but grateful that she had lived and written something that is a cornerstone of my youth.

L'Engle and Pavarotti in the same week. How sad.

J said...

I loved the book as a child, too.

I wish I hadn't reread it a year or so ago.

I'll Miss Ms. L'Engle - she was a treasure.