Friday, October 12, 2007

Kiki's Delivery Service

Hayao Miyazaki is likely the most famous Japanese director in the world now that Akira Kurosawa (Ran) has passed on. Miyazaki is, of course, a director of anime films, the most famous of which are probably Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. He also did Castle in the Sky, which WrittenWyrdd mentioned in a comment recently as an example of Steampunk. I find the visuals of Castle in the Sky completely amazing, but for me the story wasn't quite as amazing as the look.

Perhaps my favorite Miyazaki film might be one of his simplest - Kiki's Delivery service, the story of a young witch of 13 who goes off to find a town of her own. It's simple, but I like it from start to finish. Here is a clip on YouTube about 15 minutes in when Kiki is arriving for the first time at her new town. This link is in Japanese with subtitles, but you can find the movie in most any Blockbuster I would think with a new English dub done by Disney. I recommend taking a look here and then going to rent.

6 comments:

moonrat said...

my favorite is castle in the sky. i have a BOG CRUSH on pazu.

Ello said...

I love Castle in the Sky and Kiki's Delivery Service - the two latest that I really enjoy is Spirited Away and Howl's MOving Castle. I loved Princess Mononoke and my favorite is Grave of the Fireflies. My kids love My Neighbor Totoro but I've got to be honest, it is a little weird for me. BUt the one I'm most excited about is Tales from Earthsea which already came out in Japan and I am waitin gfor it's release in the US. EVen though it got mixed reviews, I can't wait to see it!

pacatrue said...

I haven't seen a few of them still, including Howl's, Fireflies, and Totoro. Honestly, I go back and forth between Kiki's and Spirited Away as my favorite. My understanding is that Fireflies is a Studio Ghibli movie, but not Miyazaki. A really light Ghibli film that's enjoyable is The Cat Returns.

Ello said...

That's the one I haven't seen. Earthsea was done by Mizayaki's son but apparently the critics really panned him as worst director or something. Still I want to see it for the animation alone.

ril said...

The Ghibli Museum is awesome. I vistited there earlier this year and really enjoyed it. The best bit for me is on the first floor where they have an exhibition of animated displays. There is one where a bunch of 3D models of Miyazaki characters are mounted on a kind of merry-go-round contraption; this starts to spin and everything becomes a blur. They they switch on a strobe and suddenly all the characters are alive, running on the spot, jumping, waddling in little circles. Just delightful and fascinating to watch.

Spirited Away is my favourite; but I have a soft spot for My Neighbour Totoro too.

pacatrue said...

I was reading about the Ghibli Museum on wikipedia the same day I did this post. Sounds like a great place to visit. I'll put it on my list.