Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wahoooooo!!

First up, the big professional news is that I finally have an advisor and dissertation chair. Pretty much everything starts from this point and I can now move forward. Yahoooo!!!

Secondly, I am about to do something few of you have ever heard me do. I will curse and curse joyfully and not just when writing fiction in some character's voice. Why?

Because I've been trying to work out this relationship between the notion of causality, particularly as found in Aristotle, and linguistic theory for a few months. I keep getting close to understanding the fuzzy idea in the back of my head, but I haven't been able to quite get there. Whenever I try to explain it, it is very muddied and wanders from place to place as I grip at my face trying to think it through. Today, I was to meet my, now, committee chair to discuss it once again and so I sat down for 45 minutes, yet again, to try to write up the idea that I could never quite get a hold of and... I finally fucking nailed it. It's clear finally to me why much of linguistic theory is muddled and less-productive than it thinks it is. So there. Fuck yeah. (Yes, this is the sort of thing that gets me very excited; hence, why I am an INTP.) I'll write up a version of it soon that is relatively accessible.

Sorry, mom!

In other news, I kicked the desk with my toes a few minutes ago and it kinda hurt, but not that bad, and so I started doing emails and this blog post. I just looked down and there's blood all over them. Huh.

10 comments:

Haem said...

Good job!
Now you can begin looking at some You-know-who from our department and remind yourself to finish your dissertation in 10 years.

Robin S. said...

Hey, congrats, and looking forward to the accessible version! Now what happens? What's the timeline for the dissertaion?

In other news, hope your toes feel better.

Church Lady said...

Looking forward to calling you Dr. Paca!

Please do some dissertation posts!! I miss being in the university environment.

Sounds like you have a great f*cking start! Kudos!

And I'm with Robin on the toenail. Hope you're fine now. :-)

writtenwyrdd said...

Huzzah! It's always such a cool feeling when you get an idea spelled out like that.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It is always a wonderful feeling to have an intellectual problem/hypothesis come together. I agree with Church Lady. I too miss the university environment, so please do some dissertation posts along the way. A dissertation can be a lonely project because family and friends get tired of hearing about it, so share with your blog friends. And, I do not think that moms look negatively at celebratory swearing. Muffytrue

pacatrue said...

Well, muffytrue, if you do not think moms are too upset with celebratory swearing, I will believe you. After all, I think you have the final word on this matter as far as I'm concerned.

And thanks everyone on the congratulations. But, you know, now there will be all this pressure when I write my thoughts up to make it exceedingly clear, because I claimed I now could. Unfortunately, the most likely reaction when everyone does read my write up is..., "um, I'm not sure what he's talking about here." Or more likely, "so what?"

I should clarify that the idea I finally got clear is not in fact my dissertation; it is the later results of another stage in the doctoral path, which is the "working paper". I have a lot of pans in the fire that are all being finished at once - causality and linguistic theory, Korean apologies, and the dissertation on learning theory. It's getting kind of exciting.

Robin S. said...

Sounds unintelligible to novices, and very cool!

You can always try the stuff out on us. We can be your experimental audience.

Church Lady said...

The more I don't understand it, the more I'll feel like I'm back at the university. So don't worry about clarification (at least for me!)

Just give me some weed and a few kinky boyfriends, and I'll be transported back to my youth! Ha!
:-)

Ello said...

This sounds great! I don't understand it but it sounds great!!! I'll say Fuck yeah too! Woo hoo! Paca said the F word!

And I am INTJ so the difference between you and me is that I'm rigid and inflexible and you are more spontaneous and relaxed. Alright!

pacatrue said...

Hmm... I thought the difference between P and J was the Butter. Ha, ha, ha, ha!! ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!

Sorry.

Difference between P and J was that P people focus on the potential in things, while J people actually like to get things done and see a goal accomplished.