Saturday, November 24, 2007

Bacon avocado omelette with hollandaise sauce

Update: Searchers who come here looking for a hollandaise recipe might also find this later blog post where things go wrong of use.

Ello asked for a new recipe and since I've been planning on one for a while anyway, here you go. This was today's (Saturday's) breakfast. When I got up this morning I told N I was going to eat a bowl of cereal, because I was basically feeling lazy. However a minute later I remembered we have this avocado in the fridge that needed to be used up. One of N's co-workers, sort of, has an avocado tree and he keeps dumping extra avocados at the office. We've already thrown away two that we just never got around to and I declared, "no more! Avocadoes are far too yummy to throw away three. It. Will. Not. Happen." Or something of the sort.

Step One:
First, cook up the bacon. I actually crumbled my bacon up and put it in the omelette. N always prefers to just eat the bacon on the side, so that's up to you.

Step Two: Make the hollandaise sauce.
I've never before today made my own hollandaise sause. That's always a package deal. McCormick's, I believe, is the package. But we didn't have any such thing, so I had to look it up in a French cookbook we have called "The Food of France." Turns out to be easy.

a) 2 egg yolks. I used to have separating-egg-yolks-and-egg-whites phobia and whenever I saw a receipe that called for either a white or a yolk, I didn't do the recipe. Turns out it isn't that hard. Crack the egg and slowly slide it back and forth in the shell from one half to the other. The white will slowly fall away. Umm, have a bowl under the tossing bit.
b) 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.
c) 6 Tablespoons of butter. I didn't say this was healthy. But then aren't the French supposed to be surprisingly healthy despite their cuisine?
d) To cook, first put the egg yolks and lemon juice in a small sauce pan. On a low heat. I never got above "2". Whisk the two together and heat. Add one tablespoon of butter and whisk. Obviously, you will be waiting here and there to let the butter heat/melt. Keep doing this until all 6 Tbs are in. The recipe books says to be sure to whisk frequently so that the yolks don't cook as scrambled eggs but remain a part of the sauce.
e) The sauce should be pourable if not, add a couple teaspoons of warm/hot water and whisk. The sauce sits pretty well while cooking the other stuff.

Step Three: Omelettes
Omelettes again are something I used to have real trouble with. I could never ever ever keep it as an omelette. By the time I scraped it from the pot, it was scrambled eggs. Tastes the same, but it's the principle. One key to actually doing an omelette is to have a good quality non-stick skillet. The second key is to have the skillet nice and hot at full temperature before putting the eggs in. When you put the eggs in, wait a bit and then as it firms up (and it should be firming within 30 seconds), pry up the edges with a fork. Sometimes, you can also do quick little back and forth shakes. The omelette, once it is firming, should slide around. Back to the recipe.

a) We had a big avocado, so I used half of it. Sliced into ummm slices.
b) Scramble 2 eggs in a bowl. I like hot things so I almost always dump in some Sarancha hot sauce, which I think is Vietnamese. N doesn't, so I sprinkled a bit of black pepper and dried parsley flakes into hers. Other herbs are clearly possible.
c) Add the eggs to the pan, spinning the skillet so the whole bottom is covered.
d) Follow my omelette hints above. When it is almost done, which means that there is just a bit of runniness on top still, throw a few avocado slices in the middle and add the crumbled bacon in.

e) OK, this step is the hardest part of the whole thing. I am at best 65% successful at getting the omelette out of the pan without it unfolding. In theory, you fold it into thirds. Fold one third with a fork and spatula over the middle third. Then, in theory, as you are sort of pushing it out onto the plate, you can roll it, so that the last third gets rolled over. Yeah, right. I end up just doing the whole folding bit in the pan and then lifting it out with a couple spatulas or something. Good news is that it tastes the same, folded perfectly or not.

Step Four: Spoon the hollandaise sauce over the omelette.

Step Five: Eat.

Variations:

Obvious variations are to do ham or cheese or something normal as the filling. Fry the filling up in a pan and have it all sitting warm and ready before you start doing the omelettes. Trying to time cooking the filling with the first omelette is a recipe for disaster. Get it? Recipe? Um, another variation I like is "mushroom cream", but then I like "everything cream." Slice up mushrooms. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter in a skillet and then add the mushrooms. Cook them. (Don't you love these helpful steps?) When cooked, turn to low temperature and then add a bit of heavy cream to them. How much? I don't know. How many mushrooms did you cook? You aren't doing a soup, so just enough so that the cream sauce will run out of the omelette and you can spoon a bit on top. Sprinkle some salt and pepper in, maybe some red pepper or a dash of Sarancha hot sauce if you like that. Keep on low so that the sauce doesn't burn. As each omelette is ready, spoon the mushrooms in the middle. Then spoon some mushroom cream sauce on top of the omelette when done. Sprinkle parsley flakes on top just because you can. Besides if there's green on top, you can pretend you aren't eating a load of cream, butter, and eggs.

5 comments:

moonrat said...

but

if it's green on top, then can't it be green eggs & ham? (esp if you use canadian bacon...)

pacatrue said...

Green eggs and ham? I do not like them, moonrat-I-Am

Ello said...

In honor of Church Lady renaming me Eato - and because you all know how much I love food - I have changed my avatar appropriately. Don't mess with the pig!

This recipe sounds pretty darn good. I love omelettes and I love avocado and bacon. I shall have to try it. But I'm not sure about the mushroom cream omelette. I'd rather have the green eggs... and ham ;o)

Robin S. said...

Paca,

This looks good. Fresh avacados off the tree sound good as well.

We're looking at a trip to Hawaii in the next year- if we come, can we have omelets with you and yours?

pacatrue said...

Ello, the pig avatar is tres chic. OR something like that.

Yes, robin, if you make it to Hawaii, definitely let me know. I could cook omelettes, but then you might reveal to the world that my cooking sucks. So maybe I'll just take you out somewhere that has umm omelettes. There's this great new restaurant that just opened here called the International House of Pancakes.... (I'm not sure where this joke is going.)