Monday, November 05, 2007

Little Anecdotes

I was waiting for the bus home tonight (Sunday) around 11:00 pm. At this time of the week, I think there's only one bus running my route. As I got to the bus stop, I noticed my bus, but going in the opposite direction. However, instead of going anywhere, it was just sitting there with its lights flashing and about three people on board. I had a feeling something wasn't quite right, and sure enough about 10 minutes later, three cop cars pull up behind it.

I watched as one of the cops boarded the bus and talked to some guy in a white shirt. In less than a minute, he got up and left the bus. Immediately, the bus turned its engine on again and left. After another couple minutes, the police seemed to let him go and everyone wandered off, leaving me alone still on the other side of the street waiting for the bus to come back.

As I'm sitting there reading an article and waiting, a guy in a white shirt comes walking up to me, and, asks me if the buses are still running tonight. Granted I never got a great look at him when talking to the police, but my guy looks exactly like the man the police just kicked off 5 minutes earlier.

What I'm thinking is, "You just froze my bus across the street and the police had to come kick you off the bus. What? Are you so stoned, you've forgotten, or are you planning to spend all night long pulling buses over? Even if you are harmless and got kicked off for not paying $2, there is no way in hell I am going to assist you in boarding any bus I plan to ride this year."

What I say is, "Uhhh, I don't know. I mean, I'm waiting, but maybe they've stopped. I just don't know."

Apparently, my clueless answer was the correct approach because he wandered on down the street. I'm such a silver-tongued devil.

3 comments:

Robin S. said...

Hey- whatever works.

moonrat said...

it's good to have hobbies, they say. maybe that was his.

writtenwyrdd said...

This fellow sounds a bit safer than the guy who pulled a gun from his waistband and started brandishing it to some gang bangers of different allegience. (My friend and I had to go tell the driver; he was determined to ignore this behavior...then he called the cops.)

Or the guy who sat down next to me at the bus stop, pulled out his crack pipe, and started to light it up. (I moved on.)