Friday, November 30, 2007

Staff - Can you dig it?

You, blog readers, are reading the blog of "Staff". Oh, yeah.

A couple weeks ago I noticed that the core phonetics course required of all incoming grad students as well as people over in speech pathology was assigned to "Staff" for the Spring semester. And then I noticed that the three profs who usually would teach it already had full course loads for themselves. I've wanted to get teaching experience for a while and in fact I am the teaching assistant for the course this semester and so, boom, I leaped.

"Please, sir, can I teach this course?"

And emails went around and hip hip, I'm now the instructor for articulatory phonetics next semester. I've had to put in my book order and so far I have 13 students enrolled.

This is very cool.

And so I now go by the name, Staff. Go, me. In honor of the occasion, here are a few extra lyrics to the tune of Shaft by Isaac Hayes.

Who is the white guy who teaches students to make those Xhosa clicks?
Staff!
You're damn right.

Who is the man who knows how to read spectrograms?
Staff!
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat who won't cop out when there's midterms all about?
Staff!
Right on.

They say this cat Staff is a bad motha-
Shut yo mouth!
I'm just talking IPA
Then we can dig it

He's an articulatin' man, and all will understand how to transcribe
Go Staff!


Yes, Samuel L. Jackson will play me in the movie. Or maybe Weird Al.

And finally here is Shaft being played by a ukelele orchestra. I'm not kidding.

3 comments:

Robin S. said...

Whoo-hoo! Go,Staff,Go!

If we were in Hawaii, we'd take your course, Mr.Staff.

Congrats!

Ello said...

Congrats! More work for you! Now we can commiserate with each other over crazy whiny students and the marking period!

And the song totally cracked me up!!

Courtney said...

case u need a reminder, ur so fracking kwel!!!!!!!!!!!!!

much love and congrats