Monday, November 12, 2007

Things you don't care to know

but I'm going to tell you anyway.

I very much enjoy gift certificates, but I'm often afraid to use them. You see, if I have $20 at Amazon, I want to get the PERFECT book. I can't just waste it, and so I never buy for weeks and months on end. Similarly, maybe last Xmas or so, N gave me a $15 gift iTunes card, and I just finally used it. My first ever iTunes purchases actually. And what did I purchase?

Three tracks by Van Morrison
That's Life -- a live version that I don't have on CD
Natalia
Wavelength -- both from the album Wavelength that I used to only have on vinyl.

Three tracks by Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Down Beat Stomp
Kanriya Naku Sora
Too Hip! Gotta Go! -- I just listened to a bunch of tracks of theirs and selected them. They are ska with a heavy dose of modern big band sound, like Brian Setzers Orchestra

Benny Goodman
Sing! Sing! Sing! Parts 1, 2, and 3. -- I really wanted the Benny Goodman Live at Carnegie Hall double set from the mid-30s, but I definitely couldn't afford it by the time I got this far.

The J.B.'s (Maceo Marker, Clyde Stubblefield, Fred Wesley, and others from James Brown's bands)
All Aboard the Funky Soul Train
It's the J.B.'s Monaurail -- two largely instrumental horn-driven soul funk numbers. Really, who wouldn't buy a song named "All Aboard the Funky Soul Train," I ask you.

Chick Corea and Bela Fleck
The Enchantment - entire album, which means I just went about $6 over. Doh!
For all of you who hate the banjo (and you know who I'm looking at!), this is an album for you. Chick Corea, legendary jazz pianist, on piano and Bela Fleck on banjo. Bela travels from jazz to funk to bluegrass to classical and back again. You never knew a banjo could do this. And just for Szelsofa, he's Hungarian by his roots.

And now you've had a glimpse of my weird musical tastes. I better get out of this iTunes store, because my money could disappear in an instant.

2 comments:

moonrat said...

i like silly wizard and mr. children

Ello said...

No banjo for me, Mr. Bojangles!