Sunday, December 30, 2007

The 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2008

Someone on Yahoo declared 10 movies as the most anticipated of 2008 with links to each of their trailers. I have now watched each trailer and am here to declare whether or not I anticipate them.

Here is the Yahoo link so you can watch them all yourselves.

1) Cloverfield


The is one of the few that I've done research on, other than watching the trailer. This has gotten great marketing from the teaser trailer that appeared before the Transformers movie that had no title and ended with the head of the Statue of Liberty flying through the air. I got caught up a bit in researching what the movie was: rumors included a new Godzilla movie and someone finally bringing the H.P. Lovecraft Cthulhu horror lore to the big screen. My older brother was a big Lovecraft fan and I knew a fair amount of it from him. In the end, it's a simple monster movie, to all appearances. There's been some odd viral web site tie-ins, including a faux Japanese drink called Slusho! As far as anyone can tell, the rough plot might be that Slusho! was doing some deep sea drilling for ingredients for the Slusho! drink in the deep Atlantic and may have released the Monster. The movie then seems to be done entirely with sort of hand-held cameras. I don't know if the movie will be good or not, but it has the potential to be iconic, particularly for teens and college age. The best news is that the movie is out in 3 weeks, so the rumors will be done soon for good or bad.

2) Rambo



Well, this time Rambo gets to take out some Burmese soldiers. While I certainly felt like taking out some of the Burmese military myself after their beatings and killings of civilians and monks a couple months ago, I think I'll be skipping this one. The movie looks like a decent version of what you'd expect from a new Rambo movie. Eh. For the record, First Blood was fine.

3) Horton Hears a Who



Due to my familial circumstances, this might be the most likely movie for me to actually see, being based on a Dr. Seuss book, but the trailer was so-so. I like the creative take on Seuss' world to be seen at the beginning, and it has Carol Burnett doing a voice, but... eh. I don't run out to see Carol Burnett things, but I remember as a kid there were only a few shows that all of the family enjoyed, kids and adults -- Fawlty Towers, the Muppet Show, and the Carol Burnett Show.

4) Ironman



Looks like pure fluff and I'm all over this one. I've always liked the idea of Ironman since I was a kid. I was never a comic reader, but I wanted to be Ironman. And the cast here is rather weird for a completely ludicrous movie about a guy who flies around in an iron suit. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow? Next thing you know someone like Ang Lee will be making a movie about the Incredible Hulk, and... oh, never mind. Yeah, I'm anticipating this one.

5) Speed Racer



You know, I think I should be excited about this movie. Combining kitschy Japanese anime from the 60s with the Matrix directors..., but it doesn't do much for me. I bet it would be fun. It's got Chirstina Ricci, so that's something.

6) Prince Caspian



Well, anyone one who's been around this blog for a while probably knows I am a C.S. Lewis fan and grew up on the Narnia books. As long as the preview doesn't look like it's going to butcher my childhood, I will be there. I get the impression, they've gone further afield this time with the movie, adding new battle scenes that never existed. But one of the made-up scenes has Susan being flown though the air by a griffin with her bow, and even though that's completely alien to Lewis, it looks like a lot of fun to me. After B watched the preview with me about 6 times today (he thought it much better than Horton Hears a Who), I went out and bought the Read Aloud Edition of Prince Caspian for bedtimes.

7) Sex and the City



Nope.

Now, to be fair, the trailer so far is just a teaser trailer and it pretty much amounts to, "here, see some images of those characters you love from the TV show! Now they are in a movie!" But since I never watched the TV Show (I saw part of one episode once) that is of no use to me. Maybe when the full trailer comes out, I will discover actual jokes or plot or something and be more interested.

8) Wall-E


This is the latest Pixar flick and the best news is that in the trailers there are no computer-animated humans, because humans always look freaky to me in these flicks, while I buy pretty much everything else. Again, we only have teaser trailers at this point, but they get huge bonus points for using the music from Terry Gilliam's Brazil in it. Looks good so far. Count me in as anticipating.

9) Wanted

Here we have James McAvoy, Morgan Freeman, and Angelina Jolie, all of which are plusses, as assassins based on a comic novel of the same name. I'd probably enjoy this movie if I saw it, though since I only see about 5 adult movies a year, I don't know if I will spend one of those here. If you watch the trailer, I love the complete BS false dichotomy between meaningless existence in a cubicle or... assassin! No middle ground exists. However, I might see this just because James McAvoy was Mr. Tumnus, the faun, in the first Narnia movie. I keep imagining Mr. Tumnus running through a warehouse with dual guns blazing. But is the image of a daredevil faun worth $7.75 at the matinee?

10) The Dark Knight



The Batman Begins sequel. Now, I must admit, I'm a bit wary here. What was cool about the last Batman movie to me was the slow emergence of the full character of Batman throughout the story. It was really a Bruce Wayne movie, and full Batman doesn't appear until the last bit. Will Batman start seeming silly again, now that he's around for the whole movie? The good news is that we have Nolan at the helm and not Schumacher. I really like the re-imagining of The Joker. So I'll watch this, at least at home on DVD, if not in the theatre.

What about you? Do you anticipate any of these movies? What do you anticipate?

6 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

why oh why am I get to see this post on 1 January?
I will browse it thoroughly when I'll have time, Paca.

SzélsőFa said...

Well, I'd like to see the Narnia film, as I have read 3 of the Narnia chronicles. C.S. Lewis, unfortunately is not well known in Hungary.
All the other films sort of repel me.

I anticipate the see the sequel to the Macskafogó, which was an absolute hit.
Here's a trailer to part 2.
http://videa.hu/main.php?page=play&v=8fZzWuLakfJ7Qov6

pacatrue said...

I will check out your linked trailer, Szelsofa. There's no weird reason that you only saw this post a couple days after the date. I started writing it two days ago, but it took some time to finish.

moonrat said...

hahaha. you and i have such different tastes. the ONLY movie i'm interested in on your list is sex & the city.

happy new year, paca.

pacatrue said...

Happy New Year to you, moonrat. And here I thought you'd be all excited about Speed Racer.

Anonymous said...

Sweeny Todd is already out and was beautifully done!
1. The Dark Knight
2. The Other Boleyn girl
3. 10,000 B.C.
4. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
6. Iron Man
7. The Incredible Hulk
8. Get Smart
9. Babylon A.D.
10. Mama Mia
court