Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It's a conspiracy, I know

We've been in our apartment now for 3 and a half years. Sometimes we talk about moving, usually to reduce noise, but so far it hasn't happened. Moving is such a pain and, really, to get a better place we'd either have to pay more or move to the burbs and add a commute. No desire to do that. So our place isn't a bad value. It's a one bedroom for three people, but most of the two bedrooms we looked at are the same size as our current place; they just add a divider between the kitchen and the living room and, voila, two bedrooms.

However, since we've been here a while now, our leases have expired a couple times. I once called to get a new lease, but I discovered that's a mistake. You see, as soon as they look at your lease, they can think about raising the rent, which they did. It's within the market as far as we can tell, but still, it's a raise. In fact, it's beginning to seem to me that almost every time you call them, if the lease is expired, not too much later you get a new lease in the mail with a $50 a month bump.

So now there are a couple odds and ends in the apartment I think they should fix, but we're month to month at the moment. I ain't calling. As soon as I do, I know they'll penalize me for it.

You gotta lay low, stay out sight, live in the shadows, man. If we keep quiet enough, maybe they'll forget the place is leased at all. Otherwise, boom! Rental adjustment.

2 comments:

December/Stacia said...

Yep. We're lucky here that our landlady is cool and rents here haven't really gone up, but my old place in Florida...when we went back on a lease our rent went up $100 a month.

ChristineEldin said...

Ahhh. I know this strategy.
I will tell you our secret. We've been living in Dubai on visitors visas. For 4 years-renting a car, a house, kids enrolled in school, getting phone hookups, the whole nine yards.
DH is good. No, I take that back. He's a master at this. You see, when we moved in, Dubai was barely anything and things weren't really regulated. DH said yadda yadda tomorrow and things worked out.

Still don't have visas, but I needed to get paperwork from the school registrar today.

Gulp.

As they're photocopying what I need, the registrar asks, "So, how's it going with your visas?"

DH is going to kill me. I should've laid low.

It IS a conspiracy!

The visa thing is a separate topic. We should be official sometime in April. Hopefully kids won't get kicked out before then.

Peace out.

:-)