Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Language Fun

I found a web site which automatically converts a web site or provided text into joke "dialects" of English. First up, here's the site: http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/

I ran this blog through it and got the following:

First up my original text of the blog entry just below this one

I have a whole big post planned in my head, but I just woke up with a shock from the bean bag chair at 1:00 AM. Turns out diphthongs aren't as exciting as one might think. At least it's the bean bag at home, not the one in the office. For people wishing to suffer my odd sense of humor, drop by Evil Editor's blog and view the comments for the query for 'Rods'. Sometime in the morning Eastern time, I should have two comments in there, one of which took a little while.

Now, we have this translated into "Redneck"

ah have a whole trimenjus post planned in mah haid, but ah jest woke up wif a shock fum th' bean bag chair at 1:00 AM. Turns out diphthongs isn't as excitin' as one might reckon. At least it's th' bean bag at home, not th' one in th' office. Fo' varmints wishin' t'suffer mah odd sense of hoomah, drop by Evil Edito''s blog an' view th' comments fo' th' query fo' 'Rods'. Sometime in th' mo'nin' Eastern time, ah sh'd haf two comments in thar, one of which took a li'l while.

"Cockney"

I 'ave a 'oole big post planned in me 'ead, but I just woke up wiv a shock from the bean bag chair at 1:00 AM. Turns out diphffongs ain't as excitin' as one might fink. At least it's the bloomin' bean bag at 'ome, right, not the one in the bleedin' office. For blokes wishin' ter suffer me odd sense of 'umor, drop by Evil Editor's blog and view the comments for the query for 'Rods'. Sometime in the mornin' Eastern time, I should 'ave two comments in there, one of wich took a wee wile.

"Jive" - think the scene from Airplane!

I gots some whole big post planned in mah' haid, but ah' plum woke down wid some shock fum de bean bag chair at 1:00 AM. Turns out diphdongs ain't as 'sitin' as one might dink. Ya' know? At least it's de bean bag at crib, not da damn one in de office. Fo' sucka's wishin' t'suffa' my odd sense uh humo', drop by Evil Edito''s blog and view de comments fo' de query fo' 'Rods'. Sometime in de mo'nin' Eastern time, ah' should gots two comments in dere, one uh which took some little while.

And finally "Hacker" which looks like a sort of instant messaging / chat hybrid

i hav3 whole big post planned in My hea,d buT i just woke up with A shoX0r from th ebean bAg chair at 1:00 am!!!!!!!!!!!!1 truns out Diphthons rnt as excitingas one m1ght think!!!!!!~ aT last its the bean bag 4t home, not t3h one In teh office OLOOLO... FOR 7AM3RZ WISHING TO SUFDER YM ODD SENSE OF HUM0R ,DROP BY EVIL EDITROZ BLOG A|\|D VEIW THE COMMENTZ F0R TH3 QUARY FORR ODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~ SOMETIME IN TEH MORNING E4STERN TIME, I SHOLUD HAEV TWO COMNMENTZ I TEHRE, ONE OF WH1CH TOK ALITTLe WHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~~~ olololololo


None of these are of course real dialects, but they are a lot of fun. Maybe it will save you some time when you're trying to write in dialect for NaNoWriMo next time. They do have Swedish Chef as a choice.

7 comments:

Ello said...

Pacapaca - that was too funny. I'm going to go play with it for awhile!

Robin S. said...

Good stuff, paca. Love the redneck version.

December/Stacia said...

It's embarrassing to me how stupid your posts on linguistics always make me feel. Words are what I do for a living, ffs. :-)

pacatrue said...

Thanks, Dec. But you do know I didn't write any of this, yes? I gave the URL to a web site form and then copy and pasted the result.

Precie said...

LMAO!!! Must bookmark that!

December/Stacia said...

I know. It was the fact that it took me almost a minute to remember what a dipthong is. (At least I think I remember. The "eo" in "people" is one, right? But I don't really know why. See? Shameful.)

writtenwyrdd said...

Simply hilarious. I found a site that's a lexicon of many real and fictional languages and I thought that was cool.. But Swedish Chef beats Elvish or Klingon!