Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Paca Notes

1) Trying the netflix thing. Hard to judge if it's for us yet or not. One great thing is that they have an Oahu shipping center, so we dropped our movie in the mail to them yesterday at 1:00 and the were shipping the new one today.

2) B is sick now so I am home with him, despite me getting better. But he seems to be handling whatever he's got much better than I did, so let's hope that holds up.

3) I'm teaching now regularly, but the being sick thing still influences the class. Basically, I've had little extra prep time, so I'm teaching mostly out of my head. Before the semester I had all these plans for projects and the like, but instead I just go to class and tell them what they need to know. Maybe in a couple weeks.

4) The latest issue of the journal I manage published today, though we are still tweaking it. I think the only thing there that might be of general interest to non-language teachers is a column about Google (right hand side). The author discusses a whole bunch of google tools that I didn't know about. I think there should be some sort of award for being out for almost three weeks and only publishing 4 days late.

5) Today was Mardi Gras and I did nothing MardiGras-esque. Lame. I did cook boulangere potatoes which were decent, so I will give that recipe one day.

6) Do people prefer trivia categories where almost everyone gets them all right and the winner is determined by speed, or do you prefer categories where only 2 or 3 people get the top number right? I'll be honest that I prefer the latter, but I'm only one vote.

7) I'm miserable at estimating how long something in class will take, always underestimating. The good news is that I'm usually prepped a class into the future since we don't finish what was originally planned.

8) I think I will do a post about something linguisticey.

5 comments:

Mamaebeth said...

6) i like a mix. knowing all the answers is nice, but not when you have to answer on gut instinct with no time for reflection.

Mommy to Ander and Wife to Box said...

As a mega-fast reader and mega-dumb competitor, I like easy and fast.

blogless_troll said...

I prefer the categories where I get them all right and everyone else gets them wrong.

McKoala said...

I'm with blogless. But if that's not possible then it's probably more fun when they're a little harder. Just a little. Maybe one easy speed test day might be fun?

Mamaebeth said...

is there anyone who likes the sports questions though? i really would be fine with no more sports questions.