Sunday, February 03, 2008

Who knows?

First up, thanks everyone for all the kind wishes over the last few weeks. Today is definitely better than Saturday or Friday. I still get shots of pain when I cough, but they are about half the intensity of before. I still put my hand on my side and brace against the wall with each pain shot, but on Friday I was launching my body into the air, cursing, and ripping the sheets off the bed. So hopefully this line from the doc about the pneumonia itself causing the pain is accurate and the antibiotics are doing the trick. I was able to contribute a bit to the household again today, cooking both breakfast and dinner, putting B to bed, and helping with some cleaning. Now, it's true that sometimes my cleaning involved lying on the floor, putting away whatever was near my body, and that a half hour of cleaning would be followed by a half hour in bed, but still it's a definite improvement from being in bed all day.

In other news, I grew up in a small town with a soybean field across the street and only 5 houses on the road. I remember hearing a neighbor's lawn mower, but otherwise things were quiet. Other people generally were not heard from your own house. And so living in a city, particularly when we can't afford to be on the 30th floor of some condo high-rise, has always been an adjustment for me. You hear other people all the time. This is exacerbated by the fact that it's common to have no heating or air conditioning here and just have your windows open. So you hear people walking down the sidewalk by your window, yelling in some other building, driving their scooter down the street, dropping their friends off at 2:00 AM, etc. I could tell you quite a bit about Lance and Elaine and their child custody issues from my neighbors standing outside my window at 3 in the morning Friday night, having a smoke. (By the way, the general consensus is that Lance rocks, but Elaine has issues, and this was a male and female opinion.)

The positive side of this is that you don't actually have to watch popular sporting events yourself; you can just wait for the cheers of people all around you and then go look up the cause. For instance, today I was prepping for my class tomorrow during the Super Bowl, which was not on. Periodically, a big cheer would go up in the air, and I would just hop on over to Yahoo Sports to see what had happened. If I could only have random people make noise for my personal calendar.

12 comments:

SzélsőFa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SzélsőFa said...

Is this a new contest, Paca?
With 6 points earned in today's game, why does it show I have 3 points?

pacatrue said...

The exact scoring method isn't clear to me, but I don't believe the player earns the same number of points as the number of questions they get right. I believe if more people play on Monday and your score is better then theirs, then your points will go up.

ChristineEldin said...

Paca, I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. It sounds like it's going to be a while for your body to heal though.

Ah, those conversations.
At least it's not the police chopper circling your street every other day. Or random people saying knocking on your door saying that criminals are hiding in your back yard.
Oh, I am soo not going to miss city life, once we move into our country home which has just decreased in value by 15% since we bought it a month ago.
Yep. That's the life.
Seriously, DH and I knew that a decline would happen. But we had to move, and since the house has a bit of land, we're hoping (okay, praying) that the land will offset some of the decline in value of the house itself.

I'm rambling on your blog. Sorry.
*off to play today's contest and kick some booty*

SzélsőFa said...

I answered 6 right...
And the tbale I've been shown (with 3 points for me) displayed that Chris (=Church Lady) has already played, while she clearly has not.
I don't understand.

pacatrue said...

Hi Szel, I think she has played. At least her comment here, at almost the same time as yours, says she's off to play now. After all, she's in Dubai and nice and ahead in time zones now. As for why you have exactly 3 points, I cannot say. I got 10 right and have 4 points. Whatever formula it uses, it's not based on the number right.

SzélsőFa said...

All right, I will see what the future days bring...

By the way, do you mean if I call you Paca and not Pacatrue.
Uhm...just asking, because I do mean my getting shortened in funny ways...you know szel means 'cut' and it has nothing to do with my name, which is szélső (to be at the edge) and fa (tree)...
Thank you!

bunnygirl said...

I'm glad you're doing better! That's some illness to take so long for you to get over.

Be well.

Precie said...

Hey! I'm glad you're feeling better!

Funny...I grew up in an urban area, near an airport, so I was accustomed to hearing airplanes and street traffic and such pretty much constantly. It took me a while to adjust to quiet living. :)

Oh--and did your doctor check your ribs? A few years ago I had bronchitis so badly, I fractured a rib just from coughing. That sucked. And there was nothing I could do to speed the healing process. I wonder if that's what happened in your case too.

Robin S. said...

Glad to read you're feeling better.
I had an image of you cleaning from your position on the floor, reaching around to grab stuff up.

Sounds are funny. I grew up in a hot and humid area- air conditioning units humming on and shutting off sound comforting to me, like white noise. They drive my husband nuts - he neev rhad a/c, growing up in Britain. Thought he'd enevr learn to sleep through the sound - he kept waiting for it to pop on and off. It just about drove him nuts and he, in turn, just about drove me nuts, until time passed and he got used to it. Not the same, though, as 3 a.m. conversations.

You're very polite not to lean out the window and tell them to stop. If you want me to call them for you, I'd be happy to.

Ello said...

You had pneumonia? That's awful. But I hope you are getting better now. Poor little paca.

McKoala said...

A better 'true is a better 'true. 'tis true.