Sunday, March 09, 2008

Cream of Mushroom Soup




Here's a cream of mushroom soup recipe. I started off trying to use recipes I saw online, but I wasn't satisfied with any of them, so I modified them and made up my own. I used "Baby Bells", which are small portobellas. But I only used that because they were the cheap ones last week at Costco. I've used the regular whites before, and I assume you could experiment with the flavor by using other shrooms. The major drawback to the recipe is that I use a blender, which is not difficult; it's just a pain to have to drag it out. Anyway, this recipe is decent:

1 lb of mushrooms, sliced.
1/2 medium onion, diced
4 TBs butter
2 cups of chicken stock (I've learned that store-bought chicken stocks are not all the same. The organic Costco one seems much better than the swanson one I usually buy.)
1 cup of heavy cream
1 TB cornstarch and 1 TB stock or water
salt
pepper
thyme

Slice and dice the mushrooms and onion. In a larger skillet, melt the butter, then add mushrooms and onions. Cook on medium heat until the moisture from the mushrooms is gone. Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the skillet and bring to boil.

Process the mushrooms in the blender in two or three batches and put in a medium sauce pan. (If you try to do it all at once, it is hard to get the top part and can be messy. Guess who tried to do it all at once a few months ago.) Add the other cup of chicken stock and bring to boil, cooking for about 5 minutes. Turn to low heat and add the cream. Bring to a slight boil; add salt, pepper, and thyme. The amount of salt seems very important to bring this dish alive. I can't tell you how much is right because I never measure spices. I think it's best to add a little and then taste. Keep adding until it's right. Let simmer for a few minutes.

In small cup mix corn starch and water/stock together. Pour slowly into the soup, stirring, to thicken. This only thickens so if you already like your soup, skip this.

Sprinkle some parsley on top to impress your blogger friends when serving; otherwise, forget this.

(If you like mushroom soup, I'd recommend doubling this. It does take about an hour and that's a lot of time for a single meal. Doubling it will probably get three meals for two people. Serve with good bread and cheese. If you like more creamy less mushroomy, adjust the liquid portions and thicken a little more.)

6 comments:

Robin S. said...

Sounds really good. I love mishrooms- I add them to homemade sauces, and lasagna, salads, etc., but I've never made mushroom soup.

Wonderful looking recipe!

katze said...

That sounds wonderful. I'm going to try it next time we go grocery shopping.

McKoala said...

Yum. Alas my kids loathe mushrooms and I have to pick them out of their food. I'm thinking that 'mushroom' soup might be missing something without them...

ChristineEldin said...

I love this soup!
(But I thought you were going to post a picture of the Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. heh heh!!)
:-)

Robin S. said...

Good-looking pic there, paca!

Ello said...

Sounds good and looks good. But I'd rather eat it than make it. Can you send me a pot please?