Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Baby Doll

As most of the readers here know, I've been a big fan of Michael Nesmith ever since I was about 11 watching Monkees reruns on Nickelodeon. One of the things he got involved in after Monkee-dom is creating the music video form as we know it today. His pioneering video work was in the late 70s and early 80s. When you look at it today, it's not all that..., well, I mean it's not high art. But in 1980, these things didn't exist and his work helped create them for better or worse. One of the starting points for MTV was a show Nesmith produced called PopClips and Nesmith won the first ever video grammy.

Anyway, in the mid 80s he also produced a few movies, the most famous of which is Repo Man (though I actually don't like it really despite my NezHead nature). He also did a movie I do like called TapeHeads starring a young John Cusack and a young Tim Robbins as people who make music videos.

Below is a scene of the characters creating their first video. What's ultimately funny to me about the clip is that this looks pretty much like music videos of 1981. Shows you how cheap and random they often were.



And speaking of inauspicious beginnings, here's a really old video of Weird Al Yankovic performing Another One Rides the Bus.

6 comments:

pjd said...

My eyes aren't what they used to be. Is that Val Kilmer as the lead singer of the band singing Baby Doll?

Am I crying? I wouldn't be surprised.

blogless_troll said...

Thanks, paca. Now I can't get that song outta my head.

ennh ennh ennh another one rides the bus...

McKoala said...

Touring The Congo???!!!

PJD, I thought it might be a guy that used to be in Neighbours. The singing in German made me doubt it, though!

pjd said...

McK, I had the brainstorm to check IMDB after I posted my Val Kilmer question... it's not him. I can't tell who it is, but Val isn't in the cast.

pacatrue said...

I look at IMDB, and I'm guessing the guy singing in the middle is Dan Blom. Blom was later in stunning works like Married with Children as Sven Hunkstrom, Baywatch as Dolph Apolganger, and playing Thor. As he's the really built one in the Cube Squared band, I'm guessing that's him. I fully expect pjd and mckoala to go search out the entire video collection of Mr. Blom.

ChristineEldin said...

I heart John Cusack. Oh, that was really funny. Whatsit with this, and now EE has an AJAX link, and BT has a TAB commercial. ;-)

Love Weird Al! This is classic.