Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Paca's N's On Myon soup

This is my take of N's take of On Myon - Hot Noodle soup - out of our Korean cookbook, The Korean Kitchen.


Ingredients:
1 batch of Chinese chives
some green onions
a good bit of Shitake mushrooms (maybe 10 oz.)
water
1 lb. of beef, sliced thin (you can buy the stir fry beef).
salt, soy sauce, garlic powder, pepper
hot sauce to taste
Korean or Japanese somen-style noodles

Preparation:
Wash and slice all the vegetables to be 2-3" in length. Cook the mushrooms in the soup pot until half-cooked, remove. Cook the chives and green onion in the soup pot and remove. Without oil, fry the beef in the pot until brown on the outside. Remove, pouring away the brown foam that forms when the beef cooks. Put the meat back in the pot and a lot of water (vegetable or beef broth would also make sense, but not too much or it might become even more American than I've already made it). Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add all the vegetables back in, add a TB of soy (ok, I just poured a little in), add garlic powder, salt, pepper. Simmer for 5 more minutes.

Meanwhile, boil some water in a pot. Add in the somen noodles. These things cook in 1-2 minutes. Drain and let sit until the soup is ready. They will get hot again when you pour the soup on. (Though they can get really sticky if they sit too long.)

Spoon some noodles in a soup bowl, pour a hardy portion of soup over it. Add hot sauce to taste.

My favorite hot sauce:


I think my version of N's version of On Myon differs mostly in the amount of beef and the presence of mushrooms. N frequently makes this with leeks and zucchini in place or in addition to some of these other vegies. It makes enough for 4 or so.

5 comments:

ChristineEldin said...

I love these kinds of soups, but the photo of it does not look appetizing. (gross and chunky)

So I told a fellow blogger (who is ill at the moment and can't handle solids) to take a peek at your soup.
heh heh!
:-)

Ello said...

Unlike rhinothongbutt I thought the soup looked awesome! Delicious! And with lots of srichacha sauce! Awesome!

pacatrue said...

Woo-hoo! An endorsement! I just hope rhinothongbutt (about to be her new name) doesn't want me to puree the beef. eww.

ChristineEldin said...

HAHAHAHA! :-)

McKoala said...

Yum. I cook like you ('OK, I poured some in). Measuring is dull.

Rhinothongbutt is perfect. I feel another name change coming on for Churkodin, whether she likes it or not. She's turning into puff daddy or whatever he's called now.