Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thank you, paper clips

I have a pair of shorts on which the button popped off several months ago. However, I've been able to zip them just fine, and for whatever physical reasons, that's done the trick. I could sit, walk, run in them okay.

A little while ago, I am sitting at my computer, actually being quite productive, and I hear this pop.

It appears my zipper just popped off as well. And, no, these shorts do not work without either a button or a zipper.

I fiddled with the zipper for a while, but just cannot fix it, so then I had to consider my options. 1) Stay here with broken shorts, since I am getting a lot done, or 2) go home and lose an hour, but at least be, you know, clothed.

Some days I don't really see anyone, so maybe just staying would work. It's just me and I can keep the door closed. But, not today, alas. I have a student coming by for a make-up midterm in a couple hours, and I could imagine that conversation. Here's my side:

"Hi, I'm glad you're feeling better. Here's the exam; you can take it at this desk and-- what? um, no, I'm not wearing any pants. You're right. Uh, is that a problem?"

On the plus side, after I'm fired for sexual harassment, I'll have a lot more time on my hands.

So going home and losing an hour was the only possibility.

But wait! I'm creative! I can think outside the box!

You know those huge paperclips that are for stacks of like a hundred sheets? Big honking brown or black things. They apparently work rather well, at least to get me through an afternoon

Though the metal does chafe the stomach a bit. Ouch.

8 comments:

McKoala said...

A 'true trendsetter.

McKoala said...

Just hope nobody was looking through your window while you were fiddling with your, um, zip.

Ello said...

Ha ha! I think you should have put together a new pants ensemble from paper AND paper clips!

Robin S. said...

I started chuckling with the visual of the black paper clips.

You're a scream - bet that metal was cold, huh?

Sammy Jankis said...

Been there, done that. And yes, it chafes.

ril said...

You'll know you're a real academic when you decide "this isn't so bad, better than the hassle of going to the store" and keep on wearing them, paper clip and all.

ChristineEldin said...

I can't get that fish heads song out of my head.

re clips--did you use them for papers afterward?

writtenwyrdd said...

Ah, these moments of sheer genius. Glad the clip worked!