Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Asparagus crepes in hollandaise sauce

This is what I made for Mother's Day breakfast and I think I will do it again. The version here has asparagus inside the crepes and that was indeed fine, but I don't see any reason one has to stick with asparagus. Mushrooms, caramelized onions, just plain old ham and cheese would seem to be equally fine. So here's a recipe based upon the book Crepes by, well, there's no author listed. It's from Hamlyn / Octopus Publishing Group in London. It lists the name of the food stylist!

Ingredients

Crepes:

1.25 cups flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1.25 cups milk
oil for cooking

Filling:
Asparagus
Oil for cooking
salt and pepper

Sauce:
A package of hollandaise sauce
about half a cup of grated cheese

Preparation

So in the end you are going to bake the whole dish, which means you can cook a whole bunch of stuff and let it sit around, because it will all be reheated soon. At some point in time, turn your oven to broil.

Making crepes. The ingredients I gave above are the book's basic crepe recipe. I think this batter is far too thick and so I kept splashing milk and water in until I was happy. If this is your first time making crepes, try making one with the recipe batter and then thin it out a bit if it doesn't turn out well. To make a crepe, first put the flour in a bowl. Make a well and add the egg and some of the milk, stir. Add some more milk and stir until you have a batter. Whisks are good. Supposedly letting the batter rest for 30 minutes can help, but it isn't necessary, blah blah blah; your guess is as good as mine.

Next, you have to cook them all. I use my normal non-stick skillet though crepe pans do exist.

Heat the pan to a medium temp and add the oil of your choice. Pour some of the batter in and lift the pan up, slowly turning it so that the batter spreads out, making a thin layer across the entire bottom of the skillet. All of this should be very quick because you waited until the pan was hot before starting. After about 30 seconds, you can fork around the edge, just lifting it all over. You might be able to shake the pan and the whole crepe will slide around. After 1-2 minutes, flip the crepe and cook the other side for about 30 seconds. Then take it out and place on a plate. Repeat until all the crepes are done. Each crepe should only take about 2 minutes because they are so thin.

Filling. This is an asparagus filling, but again you can replace with something else that you like more. I like asparagus fried up for a few minutes in a pan so that the outsides are browned in spots. A little oil, a little salt and pepper. The recipe book has you blanche them in water. Whatever. Cook some asparagus up and place aside on a dish until ready to use.

Sauce. The recipe book has a b├ęchamel sauce. I went with a hollandaise. I have made hollandaise sauce from scratch, but I was busy enough that morning, so package it is. Follow the recipe on the package.

Putting it all together. Take a baking dish and rub a little butter or oil in the bottom. Take a crepe and place about 3-4 asparagus spears on one side of the circle. Roll it up. Place in the baking dish. Repeat until all the crepes and filling are used. You might want to sprinkle some grated cheese on the rolled crepes as you go. Pour the prepared hollandaise sauce all over the crepes and sprinkle the rest of the cheese on. Place the baking dish in the broiler for 8-10 minutes.

I liked this. I went out and bought three more packages of hollandaise sauce the next day so that I could do it all again with new non-asparagus fillings. In the end, I suppose the idea for this dish is from the cookbook, but I changed how I cooked the crepes, how I cooked the asparagus, and used a completely different sauce. Whadda ya gonna do?

1 comment:

Robin S. said...

Oh my God. I LOVE asparagus crepes.
Love love love them. These sound really good.

Are these shippable???