Sunday, May 04, 2008

I usually get to it eventually

As some of you may remember, J won the college bowl pick 'em contest back in early January. And then Robin picked the march madness winner a few weeks back. Well, it took me until late April to actually mail a present to them, but they have now received a package of baked butter mochi along with a few other Hawaiian goodies. Some of them are actual goodie, like chocolate covered macadamias, some are there to amuse... me, like the li hing mangoes. (Was it mangoes?) Anyway, this recipe isn't mine in any way. I took it completely from Ono Kine Grindz, a blog by, well, I don't know who he is or what he does, but he seems to know a lot about food and lives in Hawaii.

We actually started on the present back in January.

Here's B, probably stirring ingredients, in his apron. While my aim was so poor, we don't know what he's doing, you can in fact see all the ingredients behind him -- eggs, sugar, mochi (sweet rice flour), butter, coconut milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and baking powder.



Here we have the mochi flour sitting in a bowl. Aren't I an amazing chef? I can pour a box into a bowl!!



This looks like a stage in which I've mixed sugar, butter, and eggs, or something similar.


The best thing about the recipe is that you use exactly the amount you typically buy at the store - 1 box of mochi flour, one can of coconut milk, one can of evaporated milk, etc. No weird amount leftovers. The only trick at all to the recipe is to add the milk ingredients in a few pourings instead of all at once. Still works if all at once, but a lot harder to mix. When done, you pour it into a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake for one hour.




Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a pic of the finished product. Didn't take it in January with this series, so I meant to in April, but then I spaced out again. Oh well. It looks pretty much the same actually, just a bit darker.

pacapaca

6 comments:

Robin S. said...

Hey paca,

It was great seeing these pictures - thanks for the kitcehn visit- and thanks for the goodies.

Wonderful stuff, and so sweet of you to send them!

J said...

It was delicious - and like nothing I had ever eaten before - both hardy and sweet. Very satisfying and fabulous.
Thank again!

McKoala said...

Yum, yum. More contests, please. Actually, I don't think you'd be able to send home cooking down to Oz, customs frown on anything unsealed, and on most things sealed, too.

pacatrue said...

I'm glad it was decent, robin and J! Yeah, I don't think fresh food to Aussie from Hawaii would be the best idea. Unless you don't mind eating week and a half old snacks, or however long the shipping would take.

writtenwyrdd said...

It's not the shipping, paca, it's the customs inspection delays! Occasionally things get held up out- or inbound. Not to mention restrictions on food items that may apply.

Ello said...

Cool And I love seeing pictures of the little guy. What a cutie!

Ok so make that and send it to me cause I want to eat it!