Monday, July 21, 2008

The Questions

Well, I picked up the questions for comps this morning. Three questions, three subfields of linguistics. I guess I can't discuss them, not because they are secret as far as anyone knows, but because I can't get help from others.

I've got two weeks to write the papers and then return them to the department. Then they will sit until the semester starts, at which point I then have to defend them. It's kind of nice to pick the questions up. It's very similar to my theater days in high school and college. I'd always be supremely nervous the entire day of the opening, unable to eat much, just antsy. And then the curtain would go up (usually because I was the guy doing the curtain) and I'd be calm and get down to business.

We'll see. I will likely go back to freak out mode in about an hour.

9 comments:

Ello said...

Dude, don't panic! You will do fine! deep breaths! You are brilliant! You know that!

Shona Snowden said...

It's a shame you can't get help from others. Because, of course, our help would be so invaluable.

Get writing. You'll do great.

Miss Savannah Spitfire: said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin S. said...

You're one of the brightest people I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with - you'll kick butt, in a nice and polite and spot on way.

I'm seriously telling you - I know it's true.

Meanwhile, if you want to pose anything philosophical that would help you in any way without messing up the part about discussing the actual question-s if you need people to test or whatever, we're here.

Now get to writing. We wanna be able to call you Dr. Paca pretty soon, ya know.

Precie said...

You have TWO WEEKS to write your comps responses?

Dude. My comps were extemporaneous. On the first day, I had something like 5 hours to write responses for my major field questions. On the second day, I had 2 hours each for my minor fields. A few days later, I had my oral comps to answer additional questions and defend my written answers. It was hell week like I've never known.

TWO WEEKS is a godsend. And then another month or so to prep for oral defense? Dude.

;)

Breathe. You'll do brilliantly! You know this stuff inside out and backwards.

pjd said...

Shona got it right. For sure. Break a leg. Heck, break all four.

McKoala said...

LOL PJD. Add in the tail and you've got some real good luck going.

Hmm. Do pacas have tails?

Courtney said...

at least if u mess up(which u won't) u don't have to worry about making the teacher sick when she eats ur exam like me, go culinary school! lol

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! you'll be amazing, ur very smart!!!

writtenwyrdd said...

best of luck on the work!