Sunday, November 16, 2008

Cooking Decadence

I had some fun cooking tonight again. I just created lemon butter scallops, wine mushrooms with shallots, and fried bananas for dessert.

WINE MUSHROOMS

The wine mushrooms were based upon the recipe I've posted before for gochu jang mushrooms here. I just took out most of the experimental stuff and added shallots. So this time, I sauteed one big old shallot, quartered, in a TB of butter, then added whole mushrooms without stems for a bit more. Like 1/4 - 1/3 a cup of red wine, garlic powder, black pepper, 1 tsp of Thai fish sauce, and a big shake of Italian seasonings. Then let it boil covered for about 15 minutes. N had some this time and wanted more. She's often not too excited about my cooking, so that means something.

LEMON BUTTER SCALLOPS WITH BREAD CRUMBS

The scallops were not quite there, but they were fine. The jumbo sea scallops were on sale, but still $10 a pound, so I only bought 4, which was 0.5 lbs. I have this idea that it's good to eat fish once a week for health, but the whole family only likes salmon and ahi, oh sorry, uh, tuna, which can both be too expensive at times. Anyway, I'm going to give you what I think the recipe should have been, which is not quite what I ate. Preheat oven to 425. For Celsius people, that's a pretty hot, but not scalding oven temp. Take 1 TB of butter, olive oil would perhaps be better, and 1 TB of lemon juice. Melt the two things together in a saucepan. Then I drizzled half the now lemon-butter in the bottom of a ramikin-like dish which could fit 4 scallops and go in the oven. Place the scallops in the ramikin on top of the butter, then pour the rest of the lemon butter on top. Next, take some bread crumbs and stir in spices: garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and lemon peel (or just use lemon pepper). After mixing the bread crumbs and spices, drizzle in a wee bit of olive oil and stir. Sprinkle the bread crumbs liberally on the scallops. Bake for 10-12 minutes, just until the center of the scallop is opaque when you cut it in half.

That recipe basically worked; the burst of flavor just wasn't quite there. But maybe with the slight changes I've made it'll have more burst.

OK, after all this, I made something that was super, super simple and actually just right:

FRIED BANANAS!

This was really cool. These are the deep fried ones. We took 3 small bananas. (Actually, we used a variety I've only seen in Hawaii called apple bananas, which are slightly different than the mainland ones, but it makes no huge difference.) Sliced each into 4 pieces. Then you make some pancake batter, just from a pancake batter mix like Aunt Jemima or some such. Prepare your frying oil and then when it's hot, drop the battered bananas into the oil. Cook until golden, probably turning once, all of which takes about 3 minutes. Take one batch out and put it on a paper towel to drain and do the next batch.

That's it. Here's what they look like. (Sorry that the color of the photos are a little off.)



Now, one could eat them like that I'm sure, but one can also put them in a bowl



And put Dreyer's cookie dough ice cream on top.



I also guess one could add whip cream, crushed walnuts, and hot fudge.



But we weren't that decadent. Of these recipes, I confess the fried bananas were perhaps the best. One can't eat deep fried fruit all the time, unless one is Elvis, but it seems like something really simple to pull out for a party or T-Giving or something that 75% of the guests will actually enjoy. I am an odd ball in that I've never really liked the mix of textures when you take a cake or brownie and put ice cream on top. I'd much prefer each by themselves thank you. But the bananas and the ice cream worked perfectly together.

7 comments:

Robin S. said...

The bananas with ice cream looked wonderful!

What kind of oil did you use - a canola kind of thing?

pacatrue said...

Hey, robin. Yep, just fried 'em in canola oil. I guess there's just 4 ingredients to these things. Pancake mix, water, bananas, and oil for frying.

ChrisEldin said...

Church Lady is back, and reading recipes on Paca's blog.
All is well with the world.
:-)

Ello said...

Ok I was looking forward to some cooking recipes from you but this was quite tame compared to normal!!!

pacatrue said...

LOL, welcome back, Church Lady. Maybe you can keep moving backwards in time and after a few weeks become tukoda again?

Well, Ello, I do have a Hawaiian recipe from a week earlier that I will be posting just for you!

Precie said...

Ooh, I've been meaning to look for a fried banana recipe...seriously. There's a Brazilian BBQ joint nearby that serves them with dinner...sounds almost exactly like what you describe. I can do that!

Robin S. said...

Looks great- I'm gonna try this - hope I can just use a deep frying pan - because I don't have a deep fryer.

And - Hey, Church Lady! How are ya?