Monday, December 29, 2008

Headed Down Under, not Down South

Well, good news and bad news. On the bad news front, I was in a "sound like Elvis" karaoke contest. My version of Teddy bear was good enough to get me to round 2, but apparently my Can't Help Falling in Love with You was insufficient to make round 3. Sigh. No Graceland for me!

In other news, I submitted an abstract to present some of the work on Korean apologies at the International Conference of Pragmatics, or some similar title, and heard this morning that I and co-author were accepted to give a presentation. Therefore, if I can scrounge up the money, I am now headed to Melbourne Australia for a week in July. Never been to Australia. I think Indonesia is a close as I've gotten. So that's very cool. Not quite as cool as Graceland, but van Diemen's Land* will have to do.

So if anyone knows super cheap hotels in Melbourne....

*ok, not really going to Tasmania, but I needed a land for the style of the sentence and it's close enough for us Yanks.

5 comments:

Sarah Laurenson said...

How very cool. Hope you make it.

The Aussies I've known have been very nice. You could ask McK for a recommendation, though I don't recall which part of Oz land she resides in.

Courtney said...

my friend stephen if he knows any, he's from aussie!

thats awesome, guess ur won't see me at my pastry graduation though, its sometime in july too.

writtenwyrdd said...

I hope you can manage it, paca. I've always wanted to go to Australia or the southeast but now that I live in New England the tickets are about double the cost, so I'll be seeing Eastern Europe instead!

McKoala said...

Alas, McK resides in Sydney and knows nothing about Melbourne. However, nationwide, we do the usual cheap motel chains etc. Um, can't think of any right now, but Lonely Planet etc. should have some names.

Sydney's not that far from Melbourne if you're up for a savaging, sorry, welcoming, from the koala clan...

Robin S. said...

Hey, that would be so great if you all could get together!