Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hits the Spot!

I am absolutely not going to this dinner posted below ($75 person, yeah, uh huh), but it looks absolutely delicious to me. A Hawaiian/Creole fusion. Yum, yum. I got this because I am on a jazz performances email listing in Hawaii (I've only been to one) and one of Oahu's most famous trumpeters, DeShannon Higa, is playing with crew at this event. But I looooove the menu.

I think I would go with the...

Sweet potato gumbo
Spicy ahi poke stack (chunks of raw tuna (ahi; coincidentally the same word in Japanese and Hawaiian, actually coincidentally); it's the thing in the picture)
Caesar salad
Shrimp, Andouille, and Hawaiian Snapper Etoufee
Hawaiian-style Beignets (these are more commonly called malasadas and are indeed similar to beignets, except they are Portuguese descended; Portugal was the major non-Asian-Pacific people who came to work the plantations, so there's some lingering cultural influence).

Or maybe I'm having Louisiana food withdrawal.

7 comments:

pjd said...

Maybe they will give you a discount if you serenade them with Teddy Bear.

pacatrue said...

Yes, I'm sure that will do the trick:

"Quick, stuff his mouth with food so he can't keep singing!"

Emily B said...

YUM. Wish I had a spare $75 :)E

blogless troll said...

Happy New Year, Elvis!

writtenwyrdd said...

Sounds delicious! And you cannot beat New Orleans food.

Robin S. said...

Happy New Year, Dr. Paca!

pacatrue said...

Thanks for the wishes all!