Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Curry Salmon Chowder

I've been working up to this recipe for at least 3 months.

Somewhere I got it in my head that I wanted to make a bowl of soup. And then I wanted to cover said soup with a pastry like thing. I bought some pie crusts; then I bought some puff pastry sheets. But I still had a problem. I didn't have any oven-safe soup bowls. It was devilishly hard to find any that we could afford. Williams Sonoma had something like what I wanted, but they wanted $22 a bowl. I like experimenting with food, but I'm not going to blow $70 on some bowls for the three of us. Eventually, this last weekend we found some $7 bowls and that seemed doable. And so -- finally -- I made a soup with a puff pastry on top. In fact, I made

Curry Salmon Chowder - P. Diddy Style (because, you see, it's puffy. um, ok, moving on)

I still need to work on the puff part, because it's really easy for the pastry to fall in the soup and just be dough sitting in soup, but the chowder itself is working out well enough to call it a recipe.

Ingredients:

2 6 oz. cans of salmon cheap from Costco
A potato and a half or one big honking potato. honk honk. Goose breed. (Yes, I am playing word association today.)
1 medium onion
1 can of coconut milk
1 1/4 cup of heavy cream
2/3 white wine
1 1/2 cups water
some parsley or other italian seasonings
2 tsp Thai fish sauce
2 tsp red curry paste
4 Tb butter

Stuff to Do

Dice up the onions and potatoes. Melt the butter in a big pot and toss the onions in. Cook until transparent. Add the curry paste, stirring, and cook for 1 minute more. Add in the liquids -- water, coconut milk, cream, wine, fish sauce. Bring to low boil with occasional stirs. Add in potato. Cook for 15 minutes with pot covered. Add in the salmon and seasonings. Cook another 5 minutes.

Then supposedly, you are done. I, in fact, cooked it in the morning and we didn't eat it until dinner. Isn't that sort of the point of large pots of soup? If you want to do the puff pastry thing, follow the pastry box' directions for thawing and prepping the pastry. Preheat oven to 350. Cut a circle LARGER than the oven-safe bowl so that the pastry doesn't fall into the soup. Fill the bowl up pretty high with soup and set the pastry circle on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is done. Remember your bowls will be 350 degrees, so warn the eaters not to touch.

It looked like this:



We had it with a good loaf of bread, but really, if you have the pastry on top, you don't need bread.

In case anyone thinks, wow, people eat yummy food over at Paca's all the time and I can just imagine his family gathering at the dinner table and enjoying what he's come up with, then you should see B's plate. There was only a 3% chance he'd actually eat this thing, so he got a 1/4 bowl of soup, which he indeed never even touched, and this little plate of random things I found:



I rolled up something inside the spare puff pastry pieces and baked it, a couple carrots, some almonds, a couple slices of cheese, and the bread. I also thought I'd be super fancy with the bread, so I poured some olive oil on a plate, sprinkled some pepper and seasonings on it. Awesome, yes?



N went and got the butter out of the fridge because she prefers butter and only eats the olive oil at restaurants when there's no other choice. Oh well. At least the soup was pretty good!

I've continued experimenting with the puff pastry thing which I am a complete novice about and so tonight I took the second pastry sheet that wasn't used in the soup and made

Bok Choy Goat Cheese Pufferoosies

Preheat oven to 350. I used bok choy, but spinach or baby bok choi would probably be better. Slice up 1 head of bok choy (2-3 heads baby bok choi or choi sum). Cook it for a few minutes in a covered skillet until soft. Place in a bowl with a hunk of goat cheese. Sprinkle some garlic powder and pepper in. Stir it all up good. Take your puff pastry sheet and cut it into 9 squares. Place a little lump of cheese and spinach/bok choy in the middle of each square. Take two opposing corners and pinch them together on top. Take the other two corners and pinch those together as well. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the pastry looks done.

6 comments:

Phoenix said...

O.M.G. I have almost those same bowls and potholder. But not the Superman plate. I assembled my almost-matching dish collection 20-25 years ago, mainly from scrounging at garage sales. Can't beat those prices ;o)

I very nearly tried your cheese grits recipe over the weekend. Thought I had a box of grits on hand, but only had those little packages of instant grits, and I didn't feel like tearing open a dozen of those butter-flavored packets (well, the grits are butter flavored, not the packets). Hope to try the recipe after my next visit to the grocery store this weekend, and will report back. I'm a vegetarian, so I won't be trying your meat or fish dishes, but I'll be happily awaiting more veggie-type recipes!

Happy New Year, btw! And good luck on those resolutions...

emilyblogs said...

Cute soup bowl! Where did you find them?
Either tonight or tomorrow I'll try this recipe - we've got salmon coming out of our ears right now :)

Ello said...

I know you do these recipe pots for me dude cause you know how much I love them! This was really interesting reading. Fascinating actually! But it looks good! I would never have thought of salmon and curry together but how cool!

Keep em coming Paca!

pacatrue said...

I'm glad to know these recipes are of some interest. Now, I'm just worried I'm going to poison someone. That aside, I will try to keep them coming and include more vegie recipes.

Emily, I found them at Executive Chef at Ward. I don't know if they will have more or not. They only had three at the time, and when the person checked inventory, it read negative 14. So, who knows?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipes, Paca. I have some leftover sheets of filo pastry, and I love goat cheese so I will try the second recipe. I do not think we have bok choy pastry, but we can sometimes find fresh spinach. Good luck with your resolutions. Muffytrue

Anonymous said...

this recipe, in its simplicity, is a very old recipe the Gitxsan people have been making for many generations, called Hagwul Jahm, or curried salmon chowder. We also add dried/diced seaweed and accompany it with baked bannock or fried bread. Good job!