Monday, January 19, 2009

The Eleven Hawaiians

For a couple of weeks now, B has been talking periodically about the 11 Hawaiians. It was never clear from his mention of them what exactly these 11 Hawaiians did, but they were clearly heroes of some sort. His elementary school has a kupuna (wise elder, but here is simply the teacher for Hawaiian stuff) who visits each class every week or two to teach Hawaiian language and culture. N and I assumed he'd learned a story of the fabled 11 Hawaiians at school, but we could never get much more out of him about it. Indeed, it wasn't clear that B remembered much more of the Eleven Hawaiians other than the fact that they were heroes. Because they cropped up in Star Wars comments as much as anything else, but right now for B Star Wars is incorporated into everything.

On Sunday, N and I were discussing the 11 Hawaiians again and what they may or may not have done. Did they fend off a god? a giant? Were they heroes in King Kamehameha's army? Maybe they somehow helped Pele in the creation of the islands? It was a great mystery and I resolved to at least Google the issue when I got home and, if that didn't work, ask at his school or go to a library's Hawaiian section and explore the folklore.

Then, later that day while driving in the car, B says, "Luke Skywalker joined the Eleven Hawaiians." And I thought and slowly asked, "Are the Eleven Hawaiians the Rebel Alliance?"

Apparently so. He knew neither the words 'rebel' or 'alliance' and so heard "eleven Hawaiians" which sounds a lot more like "rebel alliance" than it has any right to.

So there you go. Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia: Leaders of the Eleven Hawaiians.

11 comments:

Bevie said...

This is a great post! I love it!

pjd said...

That is one of the most classic "what my kids said" posts I've ever read.

Robin S. said...

Oh! That is darling.

Sammy Jankis said...

LOL! Good stuff!

moonrat said...

oh man. heeheehee that's funny. what's a linguistics take on that?

blogless troll said...

Ha! Awesome.

EBeth said...

I told Phillip and he said, Hawaiian Eleven doesn't sound like Rebel Alliance... then i had to think about it and remember that it was the eleven hawaiians which does sound "a lot more like "rebel alliance" than it has any right to."

sylvia said...

Then, later that day while driving in the car, B says, "Luke Skywalker joined the Eleven Hawaiians." And I thought and slowly asked, "Are the Eleven Hawaiians the Rebel Alliance?"

That's so awesome.

Tangential: have you seen Star Wars: Retold (by someone who hasn't seen it) on Vimeo ?

writtenwyrdd said...

Oh, I love that one! Kids come up with some of the oddest things. I think you should write a story called "The Eleven Hawaiians".

Chris Eldin said...

This is sooooo sweet!!!
A title for a good book, I might add.
:-)

I used to love Star Wars, but I can't get my kids interested in it. I must be doing something wrong. Or there's something wrong with them. Because there is certainly NOTHING wrong with the Star Wars series. Classic and brilliant.
:-)

Ello said...

HA HA!!!!! That is hysterical!