Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Musicals!

Since I got kicked out of the Elvis contest due to a miserable Can't Help Falling in Love with You, I joined a Musicals contest and I've now made it to round 3. If I remember correctly, I first sang Hello Dolly as the audition to get in. In round 1, I sang Too Darn Hot from Kiss Me Kate. Then in Round 2, I had to sing one song from Grease and one from Little Shop of Horrors and so I did Greased Lightning and the Dentist song, done by Steve Martin in the movie*. For round 3, I now have to sing one song from Chess, which will be "One Night in Bangkok", and one song from Fiddler on the Roof, where I will give "If I were a rich man" a whirl. I expect to lose in this round, because there are definitely better singers left than me.

I think the Dentist song was one of my better ones, so here's the link:

Dentist: http://www.singsnap.com/snap/watchAndListen/play/b3cacf2e

For those who are gluttons for punishment:

Greased Lightning
Too Darn Hot
Hello Dolly

I grew up with the Chess CD in the house due to my brother having it (no idea why; as far as I know, he's never been to a musical in his life), so I can spit out One night in Bangkok in a few takes. I might have bitten off more than I can chew with Fiddler though. I had to go find "If I were a rich man" on YouTube today to hear how much of it went.

I have an odd relationship with theater. In high school, I got involved in our high school theater stuff and worked on 20 to 30 productions, mostly building sets. I should say that I attended a prep school with a 900 seat proscenium theater, so these were pretty big affairs. I only appeared on stage like 3 times, always in bit parts like pirate number 5. I was hardcore enough though that I attended a theater camp at U Texas on summer as a junior, worked as a stagehand at the New Jersey June Opera Festival after graduation, and was Vice-President of the drama club, which had over 100 members at least. I moved into doing really bad lighting design in college and then repeated that many years later for our little local theater group in Spring Hill Tennessee, where I even ended up as President of the whole thing. After getting the Masters in '96, I even interviewed to teach drama at my old school**. Clearly I wasn't offered the position. Wow, would things have been different if I'd done that!

And yet, when I'm not actually working on a show, I basically never ever go to see any stage play. The number of plays or musicals I've seen that I wasn't a part of (or wasn't required for a class) could probably be counted on two hands, despite working on 40 or more over my time.

And so in this musicals contest, almost the only shows I really know are the ones that I actually worked on way back in high school, almost 20 years ago now.

*Random musical fact. The music for Little Shop of Horrors was written by Alan Menken, who very soon moved over to Disney to write music for Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and more. (I had to look this up.)

**Random fact. I sent out about 150 resumes for a teaching job at a private school after getting the M.A. and the only single place who contacted me at all was my alma mater where I'd spent hundreds of hours with the teachers now hiring. I don't know what this means. In other random job news, I've attempted to get jobs at places like Barnes & Noble several times in my life and also can't get an interview. I don't know what this means either. I sometimes ask questions when I'm there, and it's not like the people responding display stunning book knowledge....

4 comments:

blogless troll said...

I'm sorry Docta. I'm sorry Docta.

Hey, that was really good. How about Mean Green Mother From Outer Space?

Sarah Laurenson said...

You go!

What fun. Have to come back and listen to them all.

Sammy Jankis said...

I had a friend with a degree in Chemical Engineering (graduated second in his class) apply for a job at Barnes and Noble after he quit his job and decided he didn't want to work as an engineer for a while. In the interview, they started with the question, "So, tell us a little bit about yourself". After an awkward silence of approximately 50 seconds, he informed the young woman doing the interview that, "I don't really like open ended questions". She appeared to grow a bit nervous and asked another manager to come and sit in on the rest of the interview. Strangely he wasn't offered the job.

BBJD said...

"I don't really like open ended questions"

I love that. I once had an interviewer ask me why I wanted the job. I said I didn't know that I did. I came to find out about them. They didn't hire me.

Pacatrue: You've got a nice voice. And all that theatre work! I'm jealous. I love theatre, but after high school I was afraid to pursue it. I wish there was a community theatre around here. I want to try some of your recipes, too.

Have a good day.

Bevie