Thursday, February 12, 2009

The anti-valentine

This month's vocal challenge from robin s (ok, from 'oala via robin s) was to record some romantic text in as unromantic away as possible. So I have now attempted to do that. If you do find this romantic, I have a couple friends I can hook you up with, though you may wish to meet them wearing battle armor.

The text is a poem from Christopher Brennan, "Because she would ask me why I love her." I think it's public domain, so here you go:

If questioning would make us wise
No eyes would ever gaze in eyes;
If all our tale were told in speech
No mouths would wander each to each.

Were spirits free from mortal mesh
And love not bound in hearts of flesh
No aching breasts would yearn to meet
And find their ecstasy complete.

For who is there that lives and knows
The secret powers by which he grows?
Were knowledge all, what were our need
To thrill and faint and sweetly bleed?

Then seek not, sweet, the "If" and "Why"
I love you now until I die.
For I must love because I live
And life in me is what you give.

Here's a link to it with pretty pink hearts all around:

http://www.theromantic.com/poetryclassic/becauseshewouldaskme.htm

And here's a link to me doing it, the whole point of this post. Um, I recorded it using the karaoke site that I've been using, because that was by far easier than anything else. If people have a hard time hearing it, let me know and I will put it up in some other fashion. Without further ado, here's the embedded version.



And here's a link to it on their site

http://www.singsnap.com/snap/r/ca12f9938

It would have been best to put in sound effects and maniacal laughter, but 1) I'm in my office at work and it's not that soundproof, and 2) I'm behind on editing a paper.

15 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That is so creepy. You really don't need sound effects, trust me!

Evil Editor said...

I kept thinking you were reading "The Raven."

blogless troll said...

Email me their numbers!

EBeth said...

i actually got goosebumps at the third stanza. creepy.

Robin S. said...

WOW, paca. This is so cool - it's like the anti-paca voice, at least the way I think of ya, anyway (all sweet and nice).

If you walked in a room in the dark talking like that, I'd be freaked!

McKoala said...

That reminds me of the dead pirates in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Not a shred of romance.

Aerin said...

I agree about the dead pirates on Pirates of the Caribbean - only, a with a malfunctioning speaker or processor or something that would make me ask for my money back.

writtenwyrdd said...

Very piratical, I thought.

pjd said...

I figured Klingon. I was mesmerized by the MCP-like mouth in the visualization of the sound. It was like Tron as filmed by Klingons, with all the romance of a good Vulcan love-in.

pacatrue said...

Pirates, Klingon, Poe. It's all good. I'm glad you all enjoyed in a sort of creepy "he's talking about flesh" way.

Chris Eldin said...

AHAHAHAH! Agree with EE!
Awesome! Love the maniacal laughter. True paca style....
:-)

sylvia said...

VERY evil and I agree with Robin that it sounds like an anti-paca!

JaneyV said...

Fantastic Paca - all that was missing was an Igor saying "Yeth Marther?"

If you ever do decide to become a psychopath, I think that voice would really work for you! A hoot Paca -lots of fun!

Whirlochre said...

Have you been making out with a mutant Klingon?

Sarah Laurenson said...

Hah! Skeletor's Valentine. Loved this, paca!