Monday, February 02, 2009

Blackberry Tartlets

N and I have been doing a fair amount of cooking in the last 3 days. In this instance, I went to the store on Sunday (as a note, never ever go to the store 2 hours before the Super Bowl kicks off. The place was insane and half of the grocery carts had nothing but soda, chips, and bbq ribs in them.) and found a crazy berry bonanza going on: Strawberries are 'buy one, get one free'. Blackberries that are usually $6 were a simple buck fitty. A buck fitty I tellz ya.

Anyway, so we're now stuffed to the rafters with berries. But how to use them all before they go bad?!

So I attempted to make little blackberry tart things today. We have these little ramekins here


And so I found a blackberry tart recipe online, which was this one. I basically used the linked recipe except I only had 2 6 oz. things of blackberries, which I guessed was about a pint, and so I cut the whole recipe in third. And then instead of making a homemade almond crust I, ahem, sliced up a Safeway premade pie crust from the package. Probably cut 20-30 minutes out of the recipe that way.

Anyway, you get out your ramekins and ingredients



Those really are blackberries in the bowl. See



OK, trust me on that.

Next step is you wander around the house wondering where the pie crusts are! What the hell?! They were just here. I was holding them in my hand! This is stupid. Where could they have gone in the last 3 minutes? Did I put them back in the freezer for some unknown reason? Oh, here they are. On B's table of toys by the TV. I apparently had stopped in the middle to turn on Dinotopia and the Ruby Sun Stone.



Once you find your crust, you try to cut out little circles that are the size of the ramekins and stick them in. I was able to get one complete piece and one 3/4 piece. I then added bits here and there to finish it off and make the lattice top. I did have to cut a couple strips from the second pie crust to finish.

Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. Put the bottom crust in the ramekin. Then mix all your ingredients up in a bowl

2 6 oz. packages of blackberries
1/2 c. sugar
3 TBs of butter cut into cubes
1 tsp lemon zest
1 TB lemon juice
little less than 1/4 c. flour

Stir it up gentle. Then heat the mixture in a skillet until it melts and a syrup forms. This was like 2 minutes tops. Next pour it into your crusts and cover with the lattice. I had prepped 3 ramekins and had the fourth ready, but it just made two in the end. Here they are pre-cooked.



Then bake it for about 30 minutes. Take out and let cool for an hour or so. They weren't bad! N and I split one little tartlet or mini pie, whatever you want to call it.

No comments: