Thursday, March 12, 2009

And the nature of music keeps changing

A series of videos on YouTube are now making the rounds. A person named Kutiman used a whole assortment of videos from YouTube to create new songs. There's nothing completely new about it. People have been using audio loops for a long time to create music (I did that on the old Goatskin Pants theme song), and people have been mashing videos together for quite a while as well. I think it's the sheer quality that has people interested. It's a reminder that loops and mashups can actually be used to make decent music.

Here are my two favorites.

Mother of all Funk Chords




I am New



Kutiman provides links to all the originals so you can see where each part came from.

2 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

Hola Paca! Haven't been here for a while, but your pic on Robin's blog is sooo cute!! You really do look EXACTLY the same!

Okay, this is from a post below:
Imagine you are the type of person who likes educational holidays and not the type who identifies vacation with the number of salt-rimmed margaritas that can be consumed (I imagine a couple of you like both). Would you ever show up to a linguistics-type lecture or day program? If so, what sorts of things might float your boat?



I honestly wouldn't go to something if advertised with word 'linguistics' because it sounds too academic to me, and I love going to these sorts of things. I'd use the word 'language' in your advertisement... sounds silly, I know. You know what, I probably don't know what I'm talking about....Just that maybe if you make it more generic and cast a wider rope...

:-)

writtenwyrdd said...

Paca, those are genius works. Especially the second one where he takes single notes (!) from the piano playing video. that's a lot of work!