Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Chinese" Food

And here's an interesting talk about the history of American Chinese food. The talk reminded me how I used to love Chinese restaurants even as a kid when we had to drive to another town 40 miles away to go to one, loved them for years and years, all until I went to study in China and discovered that I'd largely been eating American food. Only rarely visit Chinese-American restaurants now. Anyway, the link:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/jennifer_8_lee_looks_for_general_tso.html

4 comments:

fairyhedgehog said...

That was really interesting. I love the idea of Chinese food as the Linux of food, in competition with the Microsoft of McDonalds.

writtenwyrdd said...

Chop Suey and Chow Mein and a few other 'fake' dishes are good, but you won't get them overseas!

But to be fair, you want American food in Asia or Europe and it does not taste like back home, either.

EBeth said...

i read Jennifer 8 Lee's book. It was pretty interesting and I recommend it. I have a whole review on GoodReads.

Sammy Jankis said...

Mmmm, now I want some General Tso's Chicken.