Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Each year we think about attending the lantern floating festival here in Hawaii, which occurs on Memorial Day. We finally made it this year and I had never known how big a deal it is. It's easily equal to a city's 4th of July festival, as it included the Honolulu Symphony, the mayor, the lieutenant governor, tv cameras on cranes, tv cameras on wires running 200 yards over the ocean, and literally tens of thousands of people. Apparently, the whole thing is even televised in Japan.

Despite all of that, it turned out to be worth it.

I've edited together a little 8 minute video of "highlights" off our little camera. As there are thousands of people there, you can't actually be next to the stage. Except for the final footage of lanterns near the end, mostly you will be watching a film of the big projection screen we were watching. There are at least three of these big screens. You will notice a time delay between the sound and the projection screen. That's not my camera; that's how it really was. This footage is just me with our little digital camera as I sat there trying not to shake, so it's hardly great quality, but this is more like the real experience, which might be worth something.

I have all sorts of little comments about various sections, but instead I'll just go ahead and let you watch. If it doesn't work for you, and you are interested, let me know and I can put it on YouTube instead.

If you are interested in the festival, here's a link to the main web site. And here's a link to a documentary on the festival.

No comments: