Thursday, June 18, 2009

Random 808

808 is just the hawaii area code; I'm running out of non-random random numbers.

1) I got an eye exam today and the conclusion was that I am borderline for reading glasses. She gave me some eye exercises and recommendations and said we could decide on the glasses in a month. I always appreciate it when a doctor-like person does not recommend purchasing one of their remedies, be it medicine, glasses, dental work, etc.

2) I am spending most of my days prepping the paper for the conference in July. That's pretty much where I've been this week.

3) It occurred to me for the first time that I will be giving my first ever talk in front of a bunch of profs not in my department, but so far it hasn't stressed me out. I think it's because I've never considered pragmatics/sociolinguistics (which is what this apology work is) my field. Also, I've given a talk in front of 250 clients of my former company before. I will probably freak out when the date gets closer.

4) If my dissertation experiments about language learning don't turn out, maybe pragmatics will accidentally turn into my area. Which would be ironic since I've never taken a single course in this. Not one.

5) One of my favorite past times is playing Guess that Language or Guess that Dialect. As such, I'm really stoked that my co-researcher in Seoul tells me that I was correct in realizing that Miss Korea 1961 was not speaking the standard Seoul dialect even though I myself can only say three words properly in Korean and one of them is the word "ah". She tells me Miss Korea starts off sounding almost North Korean, and then later sounds almost like someone from Pusan, which is the far south. No idea what to make of that, though the two Koreas hadn't been separate for that long in 1961, but as long as it wasn't Seoul dialect it means I win. One point: Paca. 5874 points: all the other languages I can't identify.

6) Speaking of which, the U.S. military is on alert in case North Korea decides to lob a missile at Hawaii. The good news is that they don't expect any such missile to reach here.

7) I've accepted a Facebook friend request from someone who graduated high school at the same time as me (um, same school, too), but I have no idea who she is. I sometimes decline those, but the whole name change thing that women get up to, a curse upon them, makes it so you can't always tell who's who.

8) Next year is my 20th high school reunion. Yes, I am 35 and next year is my 20th. Moreover, 2010 is the 200th anniversary of the school, and so I've always planned on attending this one. It's in central New Jersey. I have only attended one reunion, which was the 10th. Wonder if I will really go?

9) It's never occurred to me in a serious manner to attend my college reunion, even though I liked the school very much. I did go see it one time when I was on a business trip to Minneapolis. (College is about 40 minutes south.) My impression was that I had attended this place but left no mark at all. I don't know what I expected, a statue of a furry camelid in the student union?

10) Not only was there no statue in my honor, I was told that the Mongolian BBQ that existed near the U of Minnesota was no more. What is the world coming to?

1 comment:

Robin S. said...

#4 - No worries, Paca. You can wing it, I'm sure of it. I've been winging it for years, actually, and you're smarter than I am, so...

#8 - If you all do come to the East Coast, please give us a shout well before the trip. Plenty of East Coasters would really enjoy a get-together if you're up for it.