Saturday, August 29, 2009

Henovins - recipe

I mentioned in my grocery posts that I found some Cornish hens, split in half, for $4.99 last weekend. So I cooked them up for the mega birthday lunch today. Oh, yeah, I am now the lovely age of 36.

I haven't done Cornish Hens in several years, so I had to look up recipes again, then I merged three of them together into something that came out quite nice if I do say so myself. The key was that N has these stacks of leftover bottles of wine from a wine tasting her company did like a year or two ago. Because we had the wine for free, the following recipe was possible. It's basically a sort of coq au vin, or Hen au vin, um, hence my Englishized (yes, I know anglicized is the correct term. if a linguist can't make up words to please himself, who can?) title Henovins. Isn't henovin a liquor?

Where was I?

2 Cornish game hens, split down the middle. Ours came this way, so I can't offer advice on how to do it.
garlic powder
salt
pepper
paprika
"italian seasonings"
red wine
2/3 cup flour
2 T butter

I stuck all of the above seasonings and a bunch of red wine into a bag. Then I added the hens inside and let it marinate for about an hour. I am sure a longer marinade would have been better. Oh, and put a whooole bunch of the italian seasonings in.

Melt 2 T butter in a big big pan with a cover. Put 2/3rds cup flour in another bag with salt, pepper, and more italian seasonings. Mix the seasonings and flour in the bag. Take the half-hens from the marinade and place in the flour bag. Shake your money maker until it's covered in flour. Place in the skillet and brown on both sides. Add 1 cup red wine into the skillet and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes until super tender. I cooked some rice to go with it. After removing the hens and putting on a serving plate, you can put a little flour or corn starch into the remaining wine and make a gravy. Pour the gravy over the rice and hens as desired. Munch. You'll need napkins, cause picking the hens with your fingers, the only appropriate way, is messy.

1 comment:

Robin S. said...

Happy Birthday (one day late)!

(And thanks for the good recipe.) Hope you had a wonderful day!