Thursday, August 20, 2009

Hoppin Paca

This is my pseudo sorta kind of take off on Hoppin' John um -esque.

Package of the 15 bean soup. If no 15 bean, black-eyed peas
Package of Hillshire Farms sausage
one onion
half a package of frozen okra
paprika
cayenne pepper
black pepper
salt
garlic powder
rice
sriracha or tabasco

Soak the beans in 6 cups water over night. Drain. Slice up the onion and cook it 5 minutes. Slice up the sausage and toss it in. Brown. Add the beans, seasonings, and 6 more cups water. Bring to boil and simmer for one hour. Add in the okra and simmer for 30 minutes. Cook some rice up. To eat, one scoop rice, ladle over the beans, splash in some of your favorite hot sauce.

The End.

2 comments:

McKoala said...

Is there any thing special about Hillshire farms sausages - like a special flavour or something? Or would normal sausages work. I'm liking the look of this recipe!

pacatrue said...

No, nothing special at all. I was being a bit facetious, but I do think a link-type sausage (sliced) instead of a patty would be best here. A simple banger type sausage would do the trick. If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out. (And if you use Haggis as the sausage, you get a hundred awesome points.)

No one in my house eats beans but me, so I don't have anyone else's opinion on this. The main decision to make will be how much water to put on the beans, which will determine just how soup-y it is.