Friday, September 18, 2009

Singing in the Rain

B and I watched Singing in the Rain tonight. Think it's the first time I've ever actually seen the whole movie, and it had B up and dancing. And so, I thought I'd repost this item I wrote almost 4 years ago now:

Ever since I was a kid I've always had the idea that being able to tap dance would be really cool. I don't know if it's the rhythm thing or what. I've had little desire to learn to do any other form of dance and I have no actual natural talent at dancing. I took a movement class as part of a theater camp at the U of Texas, when I was a junior in high school so... 1989, and in our little recital they put me in the far back corner. In college I studied Tai Chi from my Chinese prof and thought I was doing OK, so when I was in China I showed my friends the first few motions I had learned and they burst out into laughter. Similar results when I was learning to do some Japanese Noh-style movements once in an audition - I was asked to be the stage manager. I have no accelerated ability to dance. But regardless one day, maybe when I'm 40 and have tenure and a bit of free time, I'm going to take a class, strap on my shoes, let all the 21 year old jazz dancers giggle at me, and do my best Fred Astaire. So there.

5 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

maybe when I'm 40


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH!
Oh, you'd be an old man, dude. I'm tellin' ya from experience, be prepared to hang it all up.

*wiping laughter tears from eyes*

Sarah Laurenson said...

Love that movie.

Maybe when you're 45, you'll realize that you're getting stiff and fat(ter) and if you want to live the second half of your life, you'd better do something about that - like stretch and exercise. Perfect time to take up aerobic tapping.

katze said...

Tap is super fun. I liked it more than all of the other dance classes I took growing up. All the noise is strangely satisfying.

Robin S. said...

Sounds good - we'll need to see that on film, of course!

Cool that you and watch old classic movies together. Very cool.

Courtney said...

don't listen to any of them bro! u take that tap class and don't wit til ur 40! do it now! who cares what others think, the sexiest men i find are the ones on the dance floor reguardless if they can dance or not, simply becasue they are on the dance floor! besides, most 20 year old girls even in tap class won't know who astire is anyway witch is way more sad!!!!